ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ToolTipFixer 2.0 for Windows < Vista

<< < (2/4) > >>

rnlduke:
 :Thmbsup: Great Find!

Seems to work great, installs as a service. Around a meg of memory and doesn't seem to be a resource hog. No visible change in resource fluctuations when pointing the mouse on a tool tip. Used Process Explorer to verify this.

app103:
What about the TTFH (ToolTip From Hell), aka the one that JUST WONT GO AWAY!!!! is there a fix for that?
-Josh (January 10, 2010, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I hate when that happens. That's about the only good thing about the problem I have on the WinME machine. It gets rid of those too.  ;D

the app stays running and registers as a service but the working set memory is very low, around 1200k with virtually no file reads or writes. I wouldn't think you would experience any performance degradation, but if you do the app is very easy to uninstall.
-Apathetic_Coding (January 10, 2010, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a 9x machine, there are no services like you have with an NT based version of Windows. And it only has 64mb of RAM, which is why I asked if it had to run in the background. Even small apps that don't use much* can be a real strain when you have enough of them, so I don't like to run anything unnecessary.

*"Not much" is relative to what you have. When you have "not much" to begin with, then it can be a bigger chunk of resources when compared with a system that has specs that would be considered normal, by today's standards.

yksyks:
As this happens only occasionally on my machine, I'm using just the simple nircmd command:

--- ---nircmd win settopmost class "tooltips_class32" 1
(found here)

Besides, beware of .NET requirement of ToolTipFixer.

Josh:
Not to sidetrack here, but can I ask what exactly the big deal is with .NET? Why does everyone hate it so? I have yet to find a single reasonable explanation as to why it is so horrible.

Curt:
Is something that has to stay running in the background at all times?

..., but then again if it has to stay running in the background at all times, it wouldn't be too useful on that really low spec machine.
-app103 (January 10, 2010, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

the app stays running and registers as a service but the working set memory is very low, around 1200k with virtually no file reads or writes. I wouldn't think you would experience any performance degradation, but if you do the app is very easy to uninstall.
-Apathetic_Coding (January 10, 2010, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

The user makes the choice at installation whether to install the program as a service or as a stand-alone manually-activated-only program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version