topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Quick Launch ~~XP to Windows 7 with CD and Stacks (Tips & Tricks) Update 01/11  (Read 13818 times)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Greetings folks

I am going to start a series of Tips and Tricks For Circle Dock.
Although some of these may seem natural, many (like myself) just do not know until it is pointed out.
So I am going to start with something simple.

Quick Launch Menu In Circle Dock:

Purpose:
This is an adaption of an article from How To Geek "Add the Quick Launch Bar to the Taskbar in Windows 7" So Windows 7 users will be especially interested in this Trick as Quick Launch was removed in the Windows 7 OS.

Note for Windows 7 users:
The Quick Launch folder still exists...so all those install programs that ask if you want  a shortcut in your Quick Launch still apply, just you will never know it is there.

Users of Windows XP and Vista will be happy as this Trick will clear up some space on the task bar and essentially move the Quick Launch Option to Circle Dock Via the Stacks Addon Option.

How To:
I am lazy by nature so I look for the simplest solution possible.
I could easily have you open a new Stack folder, then bring up the Stack options and then navigate through the AppData folder (If you can find it) and link to the Quick Launch folder, but this is too much trouble  :P

So a few simple step by step.
You are going to need to copy the following address string:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Bring up a Window.
In My Case I just click on My Computer

Paste the above code in to your address bar in the window and hit ENTER:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7296/screenshot1102010100100.jpg
Quick Launch ~~XP to Windows 7 with CD and Stacks (Tips & Tricks) Update 01/11

Once you hit enter 2 things of importance should happen:
  • 1.) The Quick Launch Folder Should be Shown in the Window
  • 2.) A full address to the folder location should be highlighted in the window address bar.
Right Click in the address bar and copy the entire address shown there

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9423/screenshot1102010100918.jpg

In my case I get:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
The above address can be utilized directly in Vista and 7, but I believe that address to be a bit different in XP.
If you wish to utilize the address above...Make sure you re-place the User Name appropriately!

Now over to Circle Dock:
Create a Stack folder by Right clicking and Choosing ADD > Folder Stack
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3946/screenshot1102010102612.jpg

This should bring up the following Properties window:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1221/screenshot1102010103008.jpg

Go ahead and Change the "Name" to "Quick Launch"
And then Click Finish.

Circle Dock will Now Show a default folder Stack Icon.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1244/screenshot1102010103811.jpg

Now we need to change the Stack Settings and add the last Saved Folder address.
to do this: Hold down Control and left Click the new Quick Launch Stack Icon (ctrl+click)
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1774/screenshot1102010104253.jpg

Now in the "Folder" Location right click and paste in the previously copied folder address.
Then chose which "Mode" you prefer....I have chosen "Grid"
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8472/screenshot1102010104838.jpg

Then Click "OK"

and viola
You now have a stack menu of your Quick Launch, that will automatically update shortcuts as they are added and removed from the Quick Launch Folder  :Thmbsup:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2968/screenshot1102010105401.jpg

UPDATE 01/11/2010

Absolutely ensure that you do have the The "Silently Delete Broken Links" Option turned OFF!!!

Or I guarantee the next time you start Circle Dock you are going to be PO'ed, as it will wipe out this Stack!

I apologize to XP users as I have abandoned XP, Vista and all 32 bit OS.
So someone with XP may have to make an additional post to correct any discrepancies in address and so forth.

It is my hope that others will come forward with their tips and tricks and add them to these forums as well.

Circle Dock is infinitely capable of so much, and our beloved Markham is kicking himself to make it better all the time.

In my Next few Tips and Tricks posts I will be doing the following:

NirCmd as a third party Addon...I am going to make Windows dance!
CLamp as a third party Addon for controlling Winamp (You are going to dig this  :Thmbsup: )
AutoIt as a third party Addon for scripting stuff
How to add God Mode and the Various God Modes to break down that huge god awful master list (Not as integrated as I would like)
and more as I find them

Know that Markham is working on the inclusion of Traditional dicklets to Circle dock, but this is requiring some serious coding and will take a while, so hopefully these addons will help satiate the tweaker's needs, and open up additional concepts for all of us 8)

Do you have a tip or trick with Circle dock???
if so: Please tell us all about it in a new post...we will all want to hear it.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:59 PM by sgtevmckay »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Re: Quick Launch ~~XP to Windows 7 with CD and Stacks (Tips & Tricks)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Nice one, Sarge!

I'll include this and your future Tips'n'Tricks in the help system so they will be preserved for future users as well as remind our current users  :).

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:29 PM »
 :beerchug:

Let me know if you need teh original images
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:36 PM by sgtevmckay »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:38 PM »
I have them, thanks!

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Update:

Additional notes added to first post
01/11/2010

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Sarge,

I'm a tad surprised by your additional notes: I've done some fairly extensive testing and I'm unable to reproduce the effect you mention. However, what IS true with the version of StandaloneStack included with Circle Dock, is that you must enable "Hide Dock After Opening Files and Folders" otherwise you can not position the mouse onto the stack's Fan or Grid.

The next semi-major release fully integrates version 2 of the Stacks modules and the above caveat will no longer apply. Indeed the "Hide Dock after Opening ..." will be a default setting which can be overidden on a Dock Item basis -- necessary for Stacks and, in future, Docklets.

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Actually after much consideration...The option did just as it was supposed to.

None of my other stacks were deleted, just the quick Launch...but this is a windows virtual folder any ways and in windows 7 may not be seen as a link.

The option also deleted all of my Winamp controls, but these are Program linked arguments and not true links.....

I have no complaint as the option, when turned on did exactly what it was supposed to do  :Thmbsup:

Any thing that is not seen as a true folder, or program link is deleted.

It coul dbe that since CD loaded first that the rest was un-see-able at the time, and CD summarily killed those links.
It could also be that Winamp was not immediately on at time of boot, so CD, being a smart program now, could not make the relation and killed those shortcuts as well.

On the other hand...It did not kill any of my NirCmd links...so I am unsure....All I know Is that I have confiirmed this three time so far, and turning off this function corrected the issue.

Maybe an item setting that allows the delete function to be exempt if checked???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:40 AM by sgtevmckay »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
The only circumstance that Circle Dock will optionally and automatically remove a Dock Item is if the target file or folder can not be located when a given level is rendered. In the case of StackFolders, it doesn't matter (to Circle Dock) if the folder to be opened can not be accessed, only that it can locate "StandaloneStack.exe".

However, I can now reproduce your findings. That is the good news. The bad news (and there always is bad news) is that this problem only affects 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7. The 32-bit versions of these two operating systems is completely unaffected. Now I guess you are automatically loading Circle Dock with Windows, right? Try disabling "Show Circle Dock on load" (General -> Other). That may help as it will prevent Circle Dock from rendering the initial level at a time when the OS is still in the process of becoming stable.

If you're going to have Stack Folders on your dock, then you really do need to set Circle Dock's Z-Order to "Normal" otherwise when the Stack Folder is displayed, part of it will become obscured by Circle Dock. Also, with StandaloneStack v2, you need to enable the option "Don't close on focus lost" (currently that option is in SS2 but will be in CD) or accessing the stack items will be difficult (a euphemism!).

Mark
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:33 AM by Markham »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Very good...I will let you know  :Thmbsup: