topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox 3.6 final, which is the same as RC 2 Jan 15 build .. is out  (Read 8452 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
They officially released FF 3.6.  This is the same code as FF RC2 Jan. 15 Build 1 release. I've been using it since then.  Seems stable.

Just for grins I downloaded the 3.6 final English 32 bit installer and the md5 sum is the same as the Jan. 15 RC2.

If you're running that version no need to download. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:58 PM by MilesAhead »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.6 RC1 is out
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Softpedia is an invalid source for everything Firefox. This is a build1 of a candidate for RC - or something. And the xx time they have done this pre-releasing/announcing. They know better but want traffic more than accuracy. Typical, soon Majorgeeks and others will follow. Can't wait until Friday https://wiki.mozilla...yMeetings/2010-01-06

Link is http://ftp.mozilla.o...1-candidates/build1/ not Softpedia  8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:38 PM »
All I know is it works as well if not better than 3.6 beta 5.  It's not the easiest thing in the world to even find FF betas on the Mozilla sites.  The whole setup is totally disorganized. Not to mention having about 5 concurrent versions extant.  The whole thing looks like a churning operation.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57 PM »
All I know is it works as well if not better than 3.6 beta 5.  It's not the easiest thing in the world to even find FF betas on the Mozilla sites.  The whole setup is totally disorganized. Not to mention having about 5 concurrent versions extant.  The whole thing looks like a churning operation.
Prolly because betas aren't meant for the general population? Sure, if you're a web developer you'll want to keep on top of things, but otherwise it's safer to stay with non-betas :)
- carpe noctem

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10 AM »
Not difficult to find if you are interested enough :) Once installed autoupdates activates every day for a new "build".

From Mozillas point of view problem is not so much shaky code (with Firefox?) since official RC release most likely will be exact match but that Softpedia and others often give direct links to ftp server. Something about server load balancing stuff not kicking in properly. More important with release of final builds. Once links "are out" they spread fast :) Those who can't wait know where to get Firefox anyway so only a question of being first and get attention. Also why they now feel a need to offer Firefox extensions, most popular ones of course.

VictorM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Successful failure
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:03 AM »
just my 2c - noticed an improvement in resource usage when using Fire Vox (text reader plugin). now the Flash plugin on the other hand...  :'(
When in doubt, use http://Google

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:40 AM »
Have you tried Flash 10.1 Beta 2? http://labs.adobe.co...ogies/flashplayer10/ There are benchmarks showing how fantastic it is. You will need latests drivers for video card and I guess benchmarks are mainly about video, hd and what not. Not sure how much difference you will notifce else where. I have had several crashes with this though less than on Beta 1. Think it has more to do with certain flashcode here and there than plugin itself. No crashes on Firefox, or only few, since I mostly use IE to watch video on other screen - why I think website code. Can only say it feels faster  8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Not difficult to find if you are interested enough :)

The whole Mozilla site is difficult.  Everything is totally scattered.  Takes 10 minutes just to find the change log for the latest stable version.  It's a mess.

They don't seem interested in clarification.  Seems more like "there's no such thing as bad publicity" mentality.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:10 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20 PM »
btw for nightly builds I find update counter-productive.  If you have to back it off and you've been using the update mechanism, then you don't have the installers for past builds that worked well.  Best to download from the ftp site.
The nightly builds aren't hard to find.  Google "minefield nightly build".  Try posting a problem report or just finding them to read.  It's not trivial.

They are not big on grouping related things in their web space.  More about feature splash pages with no good links how to find the details you are looking for.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Well you are right and wrong  8) f0dders point is probably not dismissed by Mozilla. Why make it easy? What are pros and cons? With the extremely stable Firefox and the extremely detailed and useful bug reports you get from public? Massive public now everyone can go click, click.... I almost forgot one more  8)

There is no such thing as "going back" if you research and wait to jump on the train until sure major disasters are unlikely to happen. In theory at least. Wait... then install. That is my approach anyway and why I for example have have not yet tried 3.7 nightly. Not really interested. But check Mozillazines build forum which is the place to investigate daily bugfixes, what is "hot", and get links to Bugzilla where details are chatted about. There is risk Gmail don't work too well 1 day. Not likely but possible. Must be aware of the "risk" involved and that you basically ask for it. File your report if not done already. You are a little "developer". You service them. But you are right it is only for the very interested and I totally agree with that setup. They are very careful. With 2x% marketshare what else should they do. Even build 1 of a candidate to become RC! is still "developers" corner. Imagine the damage if something evil is overlooked and they go crazy on front page with if you can't wait for this new puppy go crazy right now! They can't afford that. Majority look at Firefox like they do IE. There is no room for troubleshooting or "fixing". It works or it is crap.

They also say Profile Manager letting you run a "stable" 3.5.7 and tons of experimental "builds" on the side is a feature mainly for developers. If you go BAH!, and you should, you have no problems with 10 different Firefoxes :) Even running side by side. Can't remember which but there is an extension letting you flipflop between different profiles, shortcuts works just as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:55 PM by Bamse »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51 AM »
Now moved to a "release" folder on their ftp-server so official RC1 http://releases.mozi...fox/releases/3.6rc1/ almost the same as announcing :) Will be done later here https://developer.mozilla.org/En if not on mozilla.org
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:53 AM by Bamse »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:10 PM »
btw there's a simple fix in about:config

I can run one browser, close it, switch to another, close it, run sandboxed, no sandbox back and forth, and they all start up with a blank page.  heh heh heh