Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 26, 2014, 01:58:53 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3.6 final, which is the same as RC 2 Jan 15 build .. is out  (Read 3399 times)
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:56:22 AM »

They officially released FF 3.6.  This is the same code as FF RC2 Jan. 15 Build 1 release. I've been using it since then.  Seems stable.

Just for grins I downloaded the 3.6 final English 32 bit installer and the md5 sum is the same as the Jan. 15 RC2.

If you're running that version no need to download. smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:58:31 PM by MilesAhead » Logged

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Bamse
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »

Softpedia is an invalid source for everything Firefox. This is a build1 of a candidate for RC - or something. And the xx time they have done this pre-releasing/announcing. They know better but want traffic more than accuracy. Typical, soon Majorgeeks and others will follow. Can't wait until Friday https://wiki.mozilla.org/...liveryMeetings/2010-01-06

Link is http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu...3.6rc1-candidates/build1/ not Softpedia  Cool
MilesAhead

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

All I know is it works as well if not better than 3.6 beta 5.  It's not the easiest thing in the world to even find FF betas on the Mozilla sites.  The whole setup is totally disorganized. Not to mention having about 5 concurrent versions extant.  The whole thing looks like a churning operation.

- MilesAhead
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »

All I know is it works as well if not better than 3.6 beta 5.  It's not the easiest thing in the world to even find FF betas on the Mozilla sites.  The whole setup is totally disorganized. Not to mention having about 5 concurrent versions extant.  The whole thing looks like a churning operation.
Prolly because betas aren't meant for the general population? Sure, if you're a web developer you'll want to keep on top of things, but otherwise it's safer to stay with non-betas smiley

- carpe noctem
Bamse
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:50 AM »

Not difficult to find if you are interested enough smiley Once installed autoupdates activates every day for a new "build".

From Mozillas point of view problem is not so much shaky code (with Firefox?) since official RC release most likely will be exact match but that Softpedia and others often give direct links to ftp server. Something about server load balancing stuff not kicking in properly. More important with release of final builds. Once links "are out" they spread fast smiley Those who can't wait know where to get Firefox anyway so only a question of being first and get attention. Also why they now feel a need to offer Firefox extensions, most popular ones of course.
VictorM
Participant

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »

just my 2c - noticed an improvement in resource usage when using Fire Vox (text reader plugin). now the Flash plugin on the other hand...  Cry

When in doubt, use http://Google
Bamse
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »

Have you tried Flash 10.1 Beta 2? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/ There are benchmarks showing how fantastic it is. You will need latests drivers for video card and I guess benchmarks are mainly about video, hd and what not. Not sure how much difference you will notifce else where. I have had several crashes with this though less than on Beta 1. Think it has more to do with certain flashcode here and there than plugin itself. No crashes on Firefox, or only few, since I mostly use IE to watch video on other screen - why I think website code. Can only say it feels faster  Cool
MilesAhead

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:43 PM »

Not difficult to find if you are interested enough smiley

The whole Mozilla site is difficult.  Everything is totally scattered.  Takes 10 minutes just to find the change log for the latest stable version.  It's a mess.

They don't seem interested in clarification.  Seems more like "there's no such thing as bad publicity" mentality.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:10:31 PM by MilesAhead » Logged

- MilesAhead
MilesAhead

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »

btw for nightly builds I find update counter-productive.  If you have to back it off and you've been using the update mechanism, then you don't have the installers for past builds that worked well.  Best to download from the ftp site.
The nightly builds aren't hard to find.  Google "minefield nightly build".  Try posting a problem report or just finding them to read.  It's not trivial.

They are not big on grouping related things in their web space.  More about feature splash pages with no good links how to find the details you are looking for.

- MilesAhead
Bamse
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

Well you are right and wrong  Cool f0dders point is probably not dismissed by Mozilla. Why make it easy? What are pros and cons? With the extremely stable Firefox and the extremely detailed and useful bug reports you get from public? Massive public now everyone can go click, click.... I almost forgot one more  Cool

There is no such thing as "going back" if you research and wait to jump on the train until sure major disasters are unlikely to happen. In theory at least. Wait... then install. That is my approach anyway and why I for example have have not yet tried 3.7 nightly. Not really interested. But check Mozillazines build forum which is the place to investigate daily bugfixes, what is "hot", and get links to Bugzilla where details are chatted about. There is risk Gmail don't work too well 1 day. Not likely but possible. Must be aware of the "risk" involved and that you basically ask for it. File your report if not done already. You are a little "developer". You service them. But you are right it is only for the very interested and I totally agree with that setup. They are very careful. With 2x% marketshare what else should they do. Even build 1 of a candidate to become RC! is still "developers" corner. Imagine the damage if something evil is overlooked and they go crazy on front page with if you can't wait for this new puppy go crazy right now! They can't afford that. Majority look at Firefox like they do IE. There is no room for troubleshooting or "fixing". It works or it is crap.

They also say Profile Manager letting you run a "stable" 3.5.7 and tons of experimental "builds" on the side is a feature mainly for developers. If you go BAH!, and you should, you have no problems with 10 different Firefoxes smiley Even running side by side. Can't remember which but there is an extension letting you flipflop between different profiles, shortcuts works just as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:55:18 PM by Bamse » Logged
Bamse
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:35 AM »

Now moved to a "release" folder on their ftp-server so official RC1 http://releases.mozilla.o.../firefox/releases/3.6rc1/ almost the same as announcing smiley Will be done later here https://developer.mozilla.org/En if not on mozilla.org
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:53:14 AM by Bamse » Logged
MilesAhead

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »

btw there's a simple fix in about:config

I can run one browser, close it, switch to another, close it, run sandboxed, no sandbox back and forth, and they all start up with a blank page.  heh heh heh

- MilesAhead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.12 ]