ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Display-drivers stretching hack for small screens

<< < (2/2)

slowmaker:
slowmaker: if GimeSpace doesn't use drivers (or integration with Vista-and-later windows manager) but simply does MoveWindow() on all visible windows, there's a good chance that it won't be a 100% smooth experience with all applications. How does it work wrt. maximized windows, for instance?
-f0dder (January 09, 2010, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty well, actually. They scroll off/on the screen just as smoothly as any others.

The thing I don't care for is the fact that, because they remain at maximized size, scrolling them back fully into the screen can be finicky; there's always that last tiny little bit hanging off on one side or the other that I reflexively want to keep fiddling with until I get it all aligned perfectly again. However, I remember that being an issue with the driver-based virtual screens also; I guess that's more an issue with me than with the software :).

I believe the software offered some sort of exclusion list as well, though I didn't investigate it.

f0dder:
So the applications *stay* maximize and at the position you left them at? They don't follow the scrolling around, or get reverted to non-maximized-but-same-size-as-when-maximized?

slowmaker:
So the applications *stay* maximize and at the position you left them at? They don't follow the scrolling around, or get reverted to non-maximized-but-same-size-as-when-maximized?
-f0dder (January 09, 2010, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Err, maybe? I'm not sure I understand your phrasing, but I'll try to answer:
apps *stay* maximized in the sense that they retain their maximized *size*

they stay at the position you left them at in the same sense as other windows stay at the position you left them at

I think the above may have answered the second sentence of your post as well, or maybe not; as I said, I'm not confident I understood the question.

All I can tell you is that the times I've tried it, *all* windows - maximized or not - slid on/off the screen as you would intuitively expect them to in response to the appropriate mouse movements.

The only things that did not go off/on screen were the taskbar and desktop icons, and presumably any windows you add to the exclusion list.

That's about it for my knowledge of this program. It has a downloadable demo that might answer your questions more clearly.

f0dder:
It answered my second question, not the first :)

Maximized applications have special state - the most important being that you can't drag them around (well, not until Win7 anyway). So if you can move them around after having scrolled using GimeSpace, their maximized state is not being preserved... this could lead to some inconsistencies, though I can't think of any off top of my head; I'm mainly asking out of curiosity :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version