topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Birth of an Avatar  (Read 7652 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Birth of an Avatar
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Like many people it seems, I thought Avatar was AWESOME (I'm really hoping I get to see it without 3D however, I think the glasses and lower visual quality made the movie slightly less immersive). My boss found this video on Vimeo, and I thought I'd share it with you guys, a really fun watch.

Ehtyar.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Birth of an Avatar
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:07 AM »
Am I the only person who didn't like Avatar (besides my girlfriend)? :D I agree about one thing though, the 3D lowered visual quality, and I really don't get the hype about it. Everything looked slightly miniature as well. Not impressed.

- Oshyan

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:04 AM »
I´ve seen it in 3D yesterday. With the 3D effects the size of the objects seem normal and not small - that´s happening looking such films in 2D. The film was rather amusing, but I´d say the main focus is not the story - it´s the computer/realtime (mixed) animations. I´ve never seen any similar impressive shown nature scenes anywhere until now. I personally can´t await the new Tron Legacy.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:38 AM »
No JavaJones you are not.

I thought it was pretty and that's about the only redeeming aspect I can pull out.

The story has been done before and was very unoriginal (after seeing the first trailer once, I predicted what the plot would be and much to the frustration of several folks in my office, I was dead on).  The characters were two dimensional and uninspired - I had no sympathy for any of them. And as far as I was concerned the 3D was distracting at best.  It did nothing for the story, and the few times when it became noticeable (flies, bugs and the backs of peoples heads looming in my face from no where) it was largely distracting and pointless. They could at least have had a character turn toward the audience and menace them with a spear, not distract them with the back of a head.

But so long has Hollywood been in a rut, offering no new ideas and relying on remaking perfectly good movies and ruining them, I hardly expected otherwise.

If I recall correctly when this project was first announced years ago, Cameron was to have made it completely digitally.  My recollection is of a small panic on the part of actors with the fear that there would be no room left for live actors.

I have to say, although not human bodies, I think Cameron's people have done an excellent job of the body animation.  No more funny walking, no more stiff necks, no more flapping mouth parts and partial dentures.  Otherwise, the movie was a waste and I have been recommending people avoid the 3D hocus pocus.  It took me 2-3 hours before the raging headache started to abate after I got out of the theatre.

YMMV of course ;)
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:05 AM »
Funny, a guy I work with said pretty much the same as everybody, but he thought the 3D effects were really good.
Minor subtle details like sparks falling and even backs of heads made it seem more tangible and "real" than the average "I'm throwing something at your face!!" schlockery that gets old real quick.

I won't be going to see this anytime soon, but if I ever do, I'll be donning the spectacles for sure.

Sorry about your headache Daleus, I've been there ("It Came from Outer Space" in 3D, but the print had faded so the red-and-blue glasses didn't work quite as well as intended...).

Cool vid Ehtyar, thanks. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:08 AM by Edvard »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 01:37 AM »
I thought the actual usage, as directed (or whatever), for the 3D was nice, more subtle in most cases than the usual "spear in your eye" gimmicky 3D use. It was just the quality of it wasn't that great. Might have been the older IMAX theater though?

- Oshyan

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I *have* wondered in retro if viewing in an iMax theatre would have made a difference.

As for subtle, well, I guess you could call it that. I tried to determine if it was subtly at play, comparing the experience to what I have seen in other "pretty" movies.  There are a lot of long shots where the 3D just doesn't appear to, well, appear!  I guess that makes it fairly realistic - far distances with human sight tend to look flat and 2D anyway. 3D effects seem to be a "closer" up thing.

That might well be my sore point.  All of the up close 3D which is very obvious, seems gratuitous.  All of the far off 3D is too far to notice much if any of an effect. Hence, wondering if the overall effect would be improved in an iMax theatre.

I have no expereince upon which to base that thought tho, as I live in a backwards redneck rural area and the cloest iMax is a 4 hour drive away, so I have never been in an iMax theatre.

Essentially a moot point in my mind tho...I found the movie to be plodding and lacking in depth so I can't imagine anything redeeming it for me.

Still, it *is* a very pretty movie and I'd hate to turn off anyone who was looking forward to seeing it.  Everyone should, and make up their own minds.

And despite all this, I found the "Ehtyar to Avatar" video riveting and compelling. I've not done much in a graphics proggie, so it was neat to see someone working who knew what they were doing.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47 AM »
Am I the only person who didn't like Avatar (besides my girlfriend)? :D

- Oshyan

Then you might like this snarky metacontextual version  ;D :P ;D
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Am I the only person who didn't like Avatar (besides my girlfriend)? :D

- Oshyan

Then you might like this snarky metacontextual version  ;D :P ;D

Hit. Nail. On. Head. :D

- Oshyan

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Guys, this thread was meant to spread this video, for those of us who'd rather spend our time appreciating something for what it is (instead of whining incessantly about it). Go find another thread/forum to rag on would you?

Ehtyar.

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53 AM »
Guys, this thread was meant to spread this video, for those of us who'd rather spend our time appreciating something for what it is (instead of whining incessantly about it). Go find another thread/forum to rag on would you?

Ehtyar.

Apologies. The video is cool and inspiring.  8)

Are there any tutorials that would help us graphics novices to do likewise?
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Hi Jenny,

I found these from a few quick searches, looks like Deviant Art is the place to go:

http://siryann.devia...r-Tutorial-149199050
http://solarshine.de...-vi-Avatar-148059821
http://sythiar.devia...-Chapter-1-149232372
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=srHc3l1r32g

And for those of you well versed in Photoshop, this one might help you out a little

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=d-vlBoYWBh8

Ehtyar.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 04:39 PM »
A bit from Nightline on the development of the Na'vi language.

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=1fZZbTYdPBk

Ehtyar.