ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

recommendation: sabayon linux

<< < (3/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
linux for the laptop is even worse. Since I put it on mine:

* I had to reinstall the OS (ubuntu) 4 times, as decribed above
* I had to google a lot. and spent about 16hrs on diff irc channels
* Had to forget that modern laptops should know how to hibernate
* plugging a external screen or projector is an excercise in sysadmin-fu
* cannot connect to PPPoE
* I actually broke sabayon package manager. Got help in IRC, but these things should not happen. ever.
* Had to dedicate 25% of my brain CPU to think what to do and not to do to have a stable, sane system.
* The natural state of a linux system is broken. If it's not broken, just wait till the next batch of updates...
I'm still sticking to it though... when my list of annoyances reaches a page-long, I wil abandon it yet again.
-urlwolf (January 09, 2010, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
...And after all that, you still come here and recommend the damn thing why? Just to see if some jackass will fall for it?

Mom was right, missery does love company...

:)

@Shades - I stand corrected...Sorry...Won't happen again.

Stoic Joker:
But seriously... I dug out my notes on the Slackware fiasco and found the VPC video fix that allowed Slackware to load the desktop. I'll try adding that to sabayon before the install to see if I can earn the privilege of having a desktop using that as an offering.

What I'd really like to fine is a completely stripped down (CLI only) *nix variant that will run (or rather come with) a Samba server for file sharing.

f0dder:
What I'd really like to fine is a completely stripped down (CLI only) *nix variant that will run (or rather come with) a Samba server for file sharing.-Stoic Joker (January 09, 2010, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Gentoo, perhaps Arch?

I used Arch before going gentoo, and it was pretty nice - but it felt a bit too "fringe", I had a feeling of not knowing whether the distro would be supported 12 months later... and some of the software I wanted wasn't available in the package system so I had to compile it myself.

Stoic Joker:
Still trying to navigate the maze of config files ... Does *nix have anything like DOSShell that would allow me to graphically view the file system without having a full desktop?

urlwolf:
I've never gotten a RTFM on #sabayon irc, nor being ignored.
This is why I mentioned community as an advantage.

I agree with most windows problems posted here:
http://mssaleh.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/11/

and this is why I think it's worth it to keep plugging.
At some point, things may just work with minimal maintenance. Faster filesystems is another virtue. Yet another, most of the software I use is OSS, and it just works better on linux (example R, python). Your reasons may be different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version