ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

recommendation: sabayon linux

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
Shades: the speed advantage of compiling-for-your-architecture of gentoo hasn't been very large in my experience - and iirc there were some benchmarks showing that for some people (and some compiler options) the system even got slightly slower than "vanilla" binaries. Kinda makes sense, most applications aren't CPU-heavy and thus don't benefit from aggressive optimizations; au contraire, some of those bloat up the binaries, so you end up with fatter and ever-so-slighty slower-loading more-memory-consuming without much advantage.

I use gentoo on my server, though - I like the level of control it gives me over what dependencies are pulled in. Vanilla binaries tend to be built with all options supported - this often includes (optional) X11 support... I don't need and don't want X11 on my server, and gentoo let's me achieve this.

For the desktop, I prefer something smoother and more polished... but that's why I don't run Linux on the desktop in the first place :P

urlwolf:
linux for the laptop is even worse. Since I put it on mine:

* I had to reinstall the OS (ubuntu) 4 times, as decribed above
* I had to google a lot. and spent about 16hrs on diff irc channels
* Had to forget that modern laptops should know how to hibernate
* plugging a external screen or projector is an excercise in sysadmin-fu
* cannot connect to PPPoE
* I actually broke sabayon package manager. Got help in IRC, but these things should not happen. ever.
* Had to dedicate 25% of my brain CPU to think what to do and not to do to have a stable, sane system.
* The natural state of a linux system is broken. If it's not broken, just wait till the next batch of updates...
I'm still sticking to it though... when my list of annoyances reaches a page-long, I wil abandon it yet again.

scancode:
My experience with Ubuntu/LinuxMint on my netbook.

* Everything worked out-of-the-box
* Mixxx crashed my computer. Every time. Back to Windows.

f0dder:

* I had to google a lot. and spent about 16hrs on diff irc channels-urlwolf (January 09, 2010, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
How many times were you told to RTFM, "fix it, you have the source", or were otherwise mocked? :)

(My experiences with linux IRC rooms have been less-than-stellar; but I guess it might help to join freenode/whatever linux channels and not EFNet :))

scancode:
How many times were you told to RTFM, "fix it, you have the source", or were otherwise mocked? :)

(My experiences with linux IRC rooms have been less-than-stellar; but I guess it might help to join freenode/whatever linux channels and not EFNet :))
-f0dder (January 09, 2010, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

My experience with linux channels was simply people pretending I was invisible. For hours. Even asking smart questions in a smart way.  :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version