ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

recommendation: sabayon linux

(1/5) > >>

urlwolf:
I moved to full-time linux (yet again) ~ 2 months ago, and of course went for ubuntu.
But somehow, ubuntu didn't like my lappy. It didn't unmount the filesystem right, and fsck stopped being able to fix it.

All cues pointed at faulty hardware.

However, another distro wouldn't hurt before buying a new HD.
I tried sabayon linux because I didn't want a debian derivative, which may carry the same error.
It's based on gentoo, but with binaries.

see:
http://sabayon.org
http://forum.sabayon.org/index.php

The sabayon linux live CD picked everything right, with latest version of nvidia drivers.
It operates fine on the supposedly faulty HD. My guess: ubuntu unmount scripts are not that good.

Main advantages over ubuntu:

* rolling release
* more up-to-date packages
* better settings by default
* equo package manager is way better than apt-get
* killer communuty of very advanced and helpful users

Stoic Joker:
Granted my Slackware project kinda hit the wall, but this looks interesting. I'm grabbing the Sabayon_Linux_CoreCD_5.1_x86.iso off one of the FTPs - Hope that's the right file (eek).

Stoic Joker:
Well... CoreCD was Wrong Option - Assuming one was looking for a GUI - and I was. (Dohi)

CoreCD CLI install went fine ... Right up until I got to the no desktop. Which proved un-fulfilling rather quickly...

Currently trying the Sabayon KDE - GUI Install locked up 4 times so I'm trying the Text Based install in the (possibly foolish) hopes for a different outcome. The installation is not fast - not even a little - I'm at 15%

*Sigh* ...There is nothing on TV...

16%

Stoic Joker:
Install finished (Finally) Desktop=none  :huh: ..."Install" however did say something about removing it toward the end (error message might have been nice...). And the user account it insisted I create Does-Not-Work (*Joy*).

Open your source - Open your mind - Open your butt cheeks ... When will I learn... :)

Shades:
You forgot about the sandpaper...

Three years or so I tried Gentoo...took a full 48 hours to install but that was more than likely the fault of the internet connection I could get at the time. In theory it should get you the best (read: optimized and speed) Linux for the PC you are installing it on. In practice a sandpaper experience...coarse sandpaper at that. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version