ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Very scary! I just completely lost a bunch of files [FALSE ALARM!]

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
This is very scary and has never happened to me before, at least since I've had XP.
I was moving some picture files around and Directory Opus froze.  So I forced it to close and when I restarted DOPus, all those files I had moved were gone.  I can't believe it.  Not in the recycle bin; just gone.  Why would they be in the recycle bin?  I didn't delete them; I moved them.  if anyone has suggestions for how to recover them, I'd be grateful.  I've never experienced anything like this.

4wd:
Use some file recovery software and scan the drive for them.

The main thing is DO NOT ALLOW any more write operations on the drive in question.

If this happens to be the default system drive then your chances of recovering the files in their entirety have plummeted a fair bit - a very good reason why you don't keep your data on the system partition/drive.

eg. Recuva - download the portable build and extract it to a flash drive and then run.  Recover to a separate drive, (not the one you're recovering from).
     PhotoRec - very good also.

If it was your system drive they were on, turn off the computer, go to another computer and download UBCD4Win CD ISO, burn it and then boot your computer off of it and use the file recovery tools on it to scan for them.

EDIT: I should mention that depending on the size of the drive/partition this could take a very long time - I've spent 4+ hours waiting for a scan of a drive before the software presented a list of files that could be recovered.

Oh yeah, and the obvious recovery method - restore from the backup you had

f0dder:
Sounds like DOpus are doing it's move operations in some dodgy way, like apple's finder? That, or...

* You accidentally moved files elsewhere than you thought.
* You've got some nasty NTFS corruption going on - haven't seen lost files like that, though.

mouser:
You accidentally moved files elsewhere than you thought.
--- End quote ---

agreed -- make sure you search the disk for them.. i've had diropus move to the folder above and below the one i intended before when using drag+drop.

Curt:
I once had a similar accident, but with the standard Explorer, not a third party program. I finally found my files hidden (literally). So, also try "show hidden files and folders" and "show system files".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version