topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sandboxie goes 64 bit  (Read 13198 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sandboxie goes 64 bit
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Sandboxie goes 64 bit

http://www.sandboxie...viewtopic.php?t=7014

Supports Vista64 SP1 or later and 64 bit W7.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sandboxie goes 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Whoa! This is big news! Please report if you have any issues with it.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Excellent news, no need to search for a 64-bit compatible alternative anymore. I always thought the reasons given for the lack of a 64-bit version were a bit bunk, specially because it breaks things for people like me, who use Sandboxie to isolate and test software, not to provide watertight protection against malware.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Nice move, even if I partially agree with the author's reasons for holding out so long.

Keep in mind that this is "crippled" compared to the 32bit version of SandboxIE - it's more limited in what it can protect you against. If you need to run untrusted and potentially malware-infested code, do it in a fullblown virtual machine... this 64bit sandbox will be most useful for software-testing-without-clutter-and-breakage.
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:28 PM »
use Sandboxie to isolate and test software, not to provide watertight protection against malware.

Same here so I'm delighted to see it back. It is important to remember the security weakness though. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Whoa! This is big news! Please report if you have any issues with it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to blog about it.  :)
My Vista64 system has a fake raid controller.  Evidently the Sandboxie driver doesn't like it.  I can't get off the dime.  I posted to Sandboxie forum. I don't know how many models of HP PC went with this AMD fake raid scheme.  If it's not many, then it likely won't be fixed.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Yay!! Sandboxie 3.34.13 works on my Vista64!!

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Good news indeed. 8) But I have to admit to some confusion-- did you mean the newest 3.43 beta? :tellme:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Working fine here, as well (Windows 7 64-bit). I've been testing it on and off since it was released and everything has functioned as expected  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Good news indeed. 8) But I have to admit to some confusion-- did you mean the newest 3.43 beta? :tellme:

If you go in the 3.43 beta forum, there's a thread with the link to the 64 bit download.  The thread title mentions 64 bit.  The link is in the first post.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:38 PM »

If you go in the 3.43 beta forum, there's a thread with the link to the 64 bit download.  The thread title mentions 64 bit.  The link is in the first post.

Yep, got it--that's what I figured you meant. You typed 3.34 (a 32 bit version), but after I caught up on my sleep I was pretty sure you meant 3.43. In retrospect, sorry for the dumb question.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I didn't realize I transposed the digits. I must have mumbled backwards. :)

I should have cut & pasted instead.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38 PM »
btw for those who like to wait for official stable releases, Sandboxie 3.44 is out.  One installer does both 32 and 64 bit.  I've put it on both my PCs(W7 32 bit and Vista64) and it seems fine.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:33 PM »
btw I would not blindly update from the latest stable 3.46.  The author seems serious about implementing some recurring activation scheme in the next release. According to the 3.47 beta forum topic, 3.46 will be the last release where you can install it and register it once and be done with it.

Seems like the handwriting on the wall is several hundred programs on my PC all wanting to validate activation on their servers at different times. I hope we don't go down that road. I want to use software, not be used by it.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 03:08 PM »
btw I would not blindly update from the latest stable 3.46...I want to use software, not be used by it.

Exactly- I get that Sandboxie developer Tzuk wants to protect his excellent software, but this questionable decision for v3.47 has really riled up lots of folks.

I suppose those who vehemently oppose this new recurring activation scheme will stick with v3.46 or simply use the free version (as long as it exists).

Looks like another case of a few rotten apples spoiling the barrel. :mad:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 06:42 PM »
From what he said in the thread, my impression is if he disallows your license, it reverts to free version behavior.  So I suppose at least if you need a newer driver for hardware compatibility you can update afa that goes. Fortunately 3.46 is working fine on both my systems.

We'll see what happens. He swore up and down and had me convinced he would never do 64 bit because of PatchGuard, but eventually changed his mind. It is frustrating when you try to just keep people from freely copying your program.  I took a look at some of the copy protection type services and libraries.  They seemed a bit oppressive to the user. So I hacked together my own primitive license string thing.  Seemed as soon as 2 people had it, it was everywhere.  Like, if it was only one person I'd know who to blame, but 2 then I can't accuse anyone.  So I just said to hell with it and went with the donation bit.  At least a few people actually sent me a few bucks. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:44 PM by MilesAhead »