topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Audio moderator required ...  (Read 4191 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Audio moderator required ...
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:36 PM »
... in a couple of areas.

Folk, I'm looking for a couple of things, one software, the other almost certainly hardware, but they [will] both serve the same purpose.

I get a lot of email with embedded audio/video (a/v) over which I have little control.  Same thing with a lot of Web sites.  The audio portion starts automatically, with no concern as to my volume settings, and frequently w/o any controls to mitigate the volume or even stop the a/v.

Nothing I've encountered allows me to preset the volume on my machine such that all audio is presented at a consistent level, something between preset lower & upper levels.

Now, in line with that, I have a cable TV problem that is similar.  One channel comes in at a whisper, another at a boom.  While I don't expect a resolution for that, I thought I'd mention it.

Back to the PC issue, there are several apps that allow volume moderation during some ripping or conversion process.  However, there doesn't seem to be any sort of volume regulator that will take any audio input and apply specified min/max values.  This could be a significant issue were I to be working in the baby's room, or perhaps on the bed next to a sleeping spouse (neither of which I currently have, just painting a recognizable situation) and the sound flares up w/o warning.

So, since my search skills seem inadequate to the task, I thought I'd broach the topic here and pray for serendipity.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Audio moderator required ...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Is this any use (Vista+)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:44 AM »
Read this thread as it may work for you.  a few programs that will allow you to set the volume when you log into windows.  However, I don't know if it will work for you in your case or not.  But it could be an option to try.  The programs are free so it wouldn't cost anything to try.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Sounds like what you need is a system-wide "normalizer" and/or "compressor" (I always forget the difference). Unfortunately I'm not aware of one specifically, but two thoughts come to mind. First, you might look for a general system-wide equalizer with plugin capability, which might allow for those kinds of effects. Second, if you already have a semi-sophisticated sound card with more advanced capabilities like one of the Sound Blaster Live, Audigy, etc. models, some of their software might have this capability somewhere in the many realtime effects and whatnot...

- Oshyan

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Looks as though I'm gonna hafta find a hardware resolution.  None of the software I've found really works that well.

Upside, though is that I can - if I find the hardware, that is! - run both the PC and the TV/monitor through the same interface.  I just hate to give up the [presumed] desk space <chortle />.

To that end, can anyone recommend a good hardware forum/resource?  That's not an area I've explored to any significant extent, since most of my quandaries have been software related <sigh />.