topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What's a good wardrobe management software?  (Read 19184 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's a good wardrobe management software?
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I'm looking for a program to help me coordinate my clothes.  I can pick a suit, shirt, tie, shoes, socks, and it shows be a cartoon or some picture of how it will look.  Then, maybe I can have a schedule where I can plan out what I wear.  This is to save me some time thinking in the morning about what I should wear, what i wore before, etc.  I think that would be cool.  Here's one I came across:
http://www.dressassi...t.com/index_win.html

But it doesn't really do anything cool.  It just puts isolated pictures of each clothing item in a window together.  It's more like a photo manager.

Any recommendations?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's a good wardrobe management software?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 05:03 PM »
this could be a fun idea for a program.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:07 PM »
this could be a fun idea for a program.
I think so!  I can't find any good ones out there.  Most of the good ones are either online only, or iphone apps.  I normally don't like online applications, but I'll try them out if I have no other choice.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:29 PM »
You're welcome to use my Balloon Co-coordinator.
Normally there'd be a fee but for you...

CoCo.gif

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I'm looking for a program to help me coordinate my clothes.  I can pick a suit, shirt, tie, shoes, socks, and it shows be a cartoon or some picture of how it will look.  Then, maybe I can have a schedule where I can plan out what I wear.  This is to save me some time thinking in the morning about what I should wear, what i wore before, etc.

Sounds like you need to install Wife v1.0. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Sounds like you need to install Wife v1.0. :)
Funny you should mention that, because that's where this all started.  I used to rely on the women in my life for my clothes (mom, sisters, girlfriends).  Then a few months ago, I started looking into men's style myself and I've now learned how off they are in what looks good and professional for me.  So I've started to buy my own clothes, and even they are all impressed by how good it looks.  (What they don't realize is that this puts me off to marriage even more now!  lol.  but I keep that to myself).

Even funnier is that I picked up a book last week called Dress for Success.  And there's an entire section in there called "Why women fail their men"  I was cracking up.  because it's true.  I swear.  The girlfriends always want you to wear some stupid stuff that is just plain silly, and you would not be taken seriously as a young businessman for...ever.  Then you have the mom, who doesn't understand the importance of image (but still better than the gf).

slowmaker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Reinventing the wheel can be fun!
    • View Profile
    • rambling-nerd
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Most of the good ones are either online only...

Can you give an example of a good one? I mean, as opposed to the ones that are like the first link you said was more of a photo manager than anything. What do the good ones do?

Er, I just reread your first post; I guess you already said, more or less. Still, which part of those specs really constitutes 'a good one'? The scheduling, or the 'preview these things together'? Any other features that make them stand out?

I guess the preview would have to be just a collage of photos, wouldn't it?
WinXP Home SP3 - PSPad 4.5.4

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:38 PM »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Just saw this one:
http://homyfads.sunlitgreen.com/
That's an excellent find!  Thanks.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 01:25 AM »
Fantastic - now to get Mum to photograph all my clothes!  ;D

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I agree with wife1.0, but I also have the Don'tDressForYourSelf plugin that means that wife1.0 is not only always right but always satisfying as well (plus the history database is so large now wife1.0 probably knows me better than me).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:05 AM »
Fascinating!

I can't imagine myself ever owning an extensive enough collection of clothing where I'd need something like that.

Guess I'm just not that fashionable. "Neat and presentable" is pretty much the limit of what I can manage.

:)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:07 AM by 40hz »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I agree with wife1.0, but I also have the Don'tDressForYourSelf plugin that means that wife1.0 is not only always right but always satisfying as well (plus the history database is so large now wife1.0 probably knows me better than me).
-Perry Mowbray (June 23, 2010, 07:58 AM)

Warning! Please perform regular maintenance on the Wife 1.0 program as the history database is not guaranteed to import into Wife 2.0!  ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Please perform regular maintenance on the Wife 1.0 program as the history database is not guaranteed to import into Wife 2.0!
-Innuendo
Now that we're going to be without a specific complaints section, I figured I'd better post this warning here.
Be careful with this!
I tried to replace the Wife 1.0 module with the Mistress module and the program gave me Distress instead.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:08 PM »
I'm still on permanent GF 1.0

I have no plans to upgrade.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15 PM »
I'm still on permanent GF 1.0

I have no plans to upgrade.
I'm on GF 12.3 build 432.  It's been pretty much bloatware since v4.  Nice, shiny buttons...doesn't really do anything useful.  And the upgrades are not free.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22 PM »
I'm on GF 12.3 build 432.

that kind of versioning is strangely disturbing (do you build them yourself?)

also worth remembering that versions are not cross compatible, and any attempt to access history logs will result in immediate lockout and revocation of all rights (access can be recovered, but it's at the discretion of the administrator) 

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11 AM »
Please perform regular maintenance on the Wife 1.0 program as the history database is not guaranteed to import into Wife 2.0!
-Innuendo
Now that we're going to be without a specific complaints section, I figured I'd better post this warning here.
Be careful with this!
I tried to replace the Wife 1.0 module with the Mistress module and the program gave me Distress instead.
-cranioscopical (June 23, 2010, 09:37 PM)

Laughing Cat 3.gif

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I'm on GF 12.3 build 432.

that kind of versioning is strangely disturbing (do you build them yourself?)

also worth remembering that versions are not cross compatible, and any attempt to access history logs will result in immediate lockout and revocation of all rights (access can be recovered, but it's at the discretion of the administrator)  

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:

GF "Versions" are not cross-compatible except in very rare instances* where they may grant access to each other's history file, or otherwise begin sharing data.

This should not be cause for alarm on the part of the "Owner"/Administrator however, since he usually won't be allowed to live long enough to worry about it.

:P

------------------
* This is an uncommon occurrence sometimes referred to as the: !!UBASTD!! Operation Mode or UBOM (pronounced: You Bombed!) for short.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:05 PM by 40hz »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 05:26 PM »
GF "Versions" are not cross-compatible except in very rare instances* where they may grant access to each other's history file, or otherwise begin sharing data.

this generally only occurs between versions, ie version 2 may access version 1 (users are rarely granted this level of privilege)

At best this is likely to result in choppy performance, and at worst lockout and/or revocation of privileges.

This should not be cause for alarm on the part of the "Owner"/Administrator however, since he usually won't be allowed to live long enough to worry about it.

hmmm, in my limited experience, the 'owner/administrator' is rarely the him side of the system....

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 05:53 PM »
mmm...I actually use more than one application for my GF tasks:

GF Suite Pro Ultimate CS3:  it's expensive, but worth it!  highly customizeable, more features than I can handle, kind of unwieldy at times, good support, steep learning curve

GFree: freeware, hasn't been updated in a long time, active forum, lots of third party addons, portable, lightweight, simple and intuitive interface, just the right amount of options, i use it when I don't want to think too much and keep it simple

GF Plus 2010: relatively inexpensive, completely bloated, looks great but does nothing exceptionally well...i actually use a cracked version so I make sure to scan it with my AV before using

GFweb v2.1:  This is an online cloud application.  It's slow.  you have to register with all your info just to try it out.  Looks good, but not customizeable at all.  Hardly has any features.  I have to keep all my data online, which worries me...what happens when it stops being developed?  I hate it for the most part, but it gives me the opportunity to use it wherever I am...on the road, at work (frowned upon), on other people's computers, sometimes I'll use it when I'm bored at my relatives' homes.