topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help with AccessDB software  (Read 6836 times)

residant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help with AccessDB software
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I have a program that I have been using for 11 years.  It is built on Access97.  The program will not run correctly on Windows 7, and the company is no longer supporting it, nor upgrading for Win 7.  It works perfectly for my needs so I would like to keep using it.  Is there anyone that might be able to make it work on Win 7?  I will be happy to pay someone to fix it for me.
Thanks

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help with AccessDB software
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:19 PM »
What about using the WinXP mode of Windows 7 to get it to work:
http://community.win...p-for-windows-7.aspx

Also, no body can 'fix' a compiled program to make it work on Windows 7.  Might be better to explain what the tool does and others will suggest alternatives that will work on Win7.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:17 AM by Veign »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:21 PM »
Most of the Access based "Programs" I've seen keep the main database (.mdb) fine in the program folder in program files (or root of C: depending on age). Windows 7 doesn't like (allow) write access to the program files folder.

The Access97 part is fine in program files it's just a db engine (of sorts). Try either reseting the NTFS permissions on the programs main folder, or try moving the program's main install folder to your Documents folder. Either method should allow the program to run.

Beyond that (and for future reference) clarify what exactly "Does not run correctly" means.
Does the program's main window open?
Does it throw an error?
which error, and when?

The more details you give ... the better your chances of getting an answer that works.

residant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that.  If I turn off the UAC in Win 7, then everything works OK, except that when you run a tax report (or any report) it appears to compile the report but the report view window is blank.  When I run the program in XP Mode the reports will show in their window but when you try to print you only get about one fourth of the page.
The program is called Rent-Right v3.  The origonal publisher was bought out by another company. The new co. has out sourced support and are discontinuing the prog. The want to sell a much higher priced prog that is not user friendly and is much too complicated for my purpose.  I have 20 rental units and the new prog they are selling is intended for large property companies 50 to thousands of units.
RentRight must be "activated" online or by phone and I am afraid that they will stop activating it so as to make us buy the new software.  If I can get it to run properly then I would like to crack the activation so I can keep using the prog.  I Bought the prog 10 years ago, but it is perfect for my needs, and I hate to give it up.  I am not stealing from them, but I want to continut using it.
Thanks

VictorM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Successful failure
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:20 AM »
you could try to create a Vmware Player virtual appliance around XP and your DB application. port that to any future OS without minding the compatibility. printing can be tricky if using a "soft printer" (pcl in the driver), but there are workarounds or you can simply map a LPT port (old school). Good luck!
When in doubt, use http://Google

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:19 AM »
printing can be tricky if using a "soft printer" (pcl in the driver), but there are workarounds or you can simply map a LPT port (old school). Good luck!
Right idea, but wrong direction... The Host based (or soft printer) drivers that do most of the image processing on the computer are the ones that don't use PCL (i.e. Network printers all use PCL). Also, if dealing with a tricky config, it's best to grab the PCL5 version of the driver (Avoid PCL6 like a plague).

Port capturing/mapping a network printer so a legacy application can find it on LPT1 is a highly recommended and stable fix (so you nailed that part :)).

VictorM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Successful failure
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I could refer you to the right url on vmware's website, but you'd get the wrong idea :-) (no flame, but you misunderstood my post - must be my crappy English)
When in doubt, use http://Google

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I could refer you to the right url on vmware's website, but you'd get the wrong idea :-) (no flame, but you misunderstood my post - must be my crappy English)
Perhaps I did, but the object is to help the OP ... So show me what you got. :)

While I'm not intimately familiar with VMware, I do spend a great deal of time dealing with printers, print drivers, & legacy software. But I'm always open for new information.