topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 6:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Creating "Navigation Points" in Video Files / Annotation?  (Read 3130 times)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Creating "Navigation Points" in Video Files / Annotation?
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:59 PM »
I'm watching (and rewatching) certain lectures and find that I'd like to be able to quickly navigate to certain points.  Unfortunately, the source video (DVD) doesn't contain very useful "navigational points" (chapters?).  I've ripped the content as I tend to watch using VLC / smplayer so I've got the video content in file form.  I'm wondering whether there are good ways for annotating or adding metadata to video files to enable easier navigation.

Does anyone have a recommended solution for something like this?

What I've tested out with some success is creating Matroska files with chapters.  I first tried AVIMux_GUI but found that somehow the times that I specified weren't quite right when I played back.  Then I tried mmg (from mkvtoolnix) with better success.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Creating "Navigation Points" in Video Files / Annotation?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 05:06 PM »
I'm not aware of any particularly good solutions for this, particularly any that could create data viewable in multiple players and not just the source app. So I too am very interested in any more informative responses. I do believe this sort of thing was going to be a part of the MPEG4 spec at one point, or perhaps the upcoming MPEG5. Hopefully that comes to pass for MPEG5 at least because then it would be a standard and many players would have support for it.

- Oshyan

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Creating "Navigation Points" in Video Files / Annotation?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I have my fingers crossed that we get a good solution in the not-so-distant future :)