ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ten Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

<< < (3/8) > >>

mrainey:
I'm not a native Spanish speaker, but have lived in Spanish-speaking countries and taken lots of college-level classes.  The spelling and pronunciation follow clear, consistent rules, and there aren't many of them to remember.

The grammar can be your worst nightmare.

cyberdiva:
Spanish is certainly spelled and pronounced more consistently than English, but it's still possible to make spelling errors in Spanish.  For example, the h is not pronounced.  I remember my shock upon seeing "he hecho" in writing.  It never occurred to me that these words began with a silent h.  Also, s, z, and c (when it precedes i or e) are pronounced alike in Latin American Spanish (though not in the  Spanish spoken in Spain).  I often guess wrong when I consult a dictionary to find a word I've heard.  Still, I've given thanks many times that I'm a native English speaker--I'd HATE to have to learn that language!  :o

zridling:
Perhaps we should add pronunciation errors, too. I'm ready for this century to be "20_._" as in "Twenty-ten," not Two-thousand ten. Yet the idiots on my TeeVee keep saying the latter. I don't remember them saying "Nineteen hundred seventy-five"!

Innuendo:
Perhaps we should add pronunciation errors, too. I'm ready for this century to be "20_._" as in "Twenty-ten," not Two-thousand ten. Yet the idiots on my TeeVee keep saying the latter. I don't remember them saying "Nineteen hundred seventy-five"!-zridling (January 01, 2010, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

But a few days ago were you saying "Twenty-nine"? Or "Twenty-Oh-Nine"?

lanux128:
However, I have one question regarding loose/lose: how do you spell the opposite of "find"?-housetier (January 01, 2010, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

since 'find' is a verb, then it's opposite would be 'lose'.-lanux128 (January 01, 2010, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Congratulations! Skwire found the intentional typo i posted in the above quote. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version