ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ten Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

<< < (6/8) > >>

mrainey:
also when it starts with e but sounds like y
a ewe
--- End quote ---

ewe, yew, you = huh?

Curt:
ewe
Pronunciation:     'yü, in rural dials also 'yō
Function:           noun
Etymology:          Middle English, from Old English ēowu; akin to Old High German ouwi ewe, Latin ovis sheep, Greek ois
Date:               before 12th century

: the female of the sheep especially when mature also : the female of various related animals
-Babylon
--- End quote ---

also when it starts with e but sounds like y
a ewe
--- End quote ---

ewe, yew, you = huh?
-mrainey (January 03, 2010, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
- yes, almost exactly! Kind of a short "you" where the last "u" is just a tiny different.

Eóin:
Perhaps we should add pronunciation errors, too. I'm ready for this century to be "20_._" as in "Twenty-ten," not Two-thousand ten. Yet the idiots on my TeeVee keep saying the latter. I don't remember them saying "Nineteen hundred seventy-five"!
-zridling (January 01, 2010, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

You have something to do with this site Zaine? http://www.twentynot2000.com/ :D :D :D

Edvard:
But a few days ago were you saying "Twenty-nine"? Or "Twenty-Oh-Nine"?-Innuendo (January 01, 2010, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Years ago I looked up what they called the first decade of the 1900s. Most used the term "aught," as in 19-aught-7, or "Back in 'aught-04' we ate dirt and were glad to have it!" I've since said 20-aught-1,2,3,... 9 to the quirky faces of my friends. You might also ask, will the same "TeeVee" people say "Twenty-one hundred fourteen" in the next century!
 :D

-zridling (January 03, 2010, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I vowed to say "Two-kay" (2K) early on in 2000, but never followed through much.
Everybody I know says "Two thousand" before the numerator.
Funny thing, most of those folks say "Twenty-twelve" when they discuss the so-called 'End of the world predicted by the Aztecs'.  :-\

Either way, I'm such a die-hard optimist that I hope I'm wrong about my pessimism for 2K10...  :P

CleverCat:
When will people learn to pronounce Escape correctly!

It's not exscape..... >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version