ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How can we *share* Donationcoder.com better in 2010?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Josh:
I am in agreement with others. I do my recommending of DC by posting, when appropriate, to various forums so I do not come across as a spammer or give DC that reputation. That said, I have introduced several members to the site who I know utilize its software and have donated. I feel this is probably the best we can do for DC is to spread the word as appropriate.

cmpm:
I think 'market' is not what zridling is thinking of, in it's commercial world, which DC is not a commercial project.
A community think tank sort of to me.....

A definition of terms would be useful, but his ideas are what is more 'marketable'.
Word of mouth is always the best and the internet is that means.
the way it's worded or spoken of is the key I think.

anyway, zridling, 'marketing' used in a commercial sense is kind of funny to me, seeing your posts and shoot, using Linux for pete's sake!
I get what you are saying.....more involvement would be a good term...

TucknDar:
Promote seems a more appropriate term than market, IMO ;) But I do understand what you mean, zridling.

mouser:
All of us who know zaine know he wasn't thinking about "marketing" like they do in businesses or anything commercial like that -- i just wanted to post a clear reply so that people who don't know zaine would not get the wrong impression.

"Promote" is wrong too.

This entire world is filled with people who spend 90% of their effort on marketing, promotion, pr, advertising, and 10% of their effort on creating useful stuff.

I'm very proud that DC is about creating things and having fun being part of a close community and isn't trying to become the next big thing.

That's not to say that it's not important when other sites that we respect write about the things we do, it is.  Some of the events on our site like the NANY programming thing, work best if other people hear about it from sites we respect -- and when we release new software or write a new review, we want people to hear about it.  But let's keep our focus on creating things and having good discussions, and making it easy for people to discover us.

Terms like promoting/marketing/etc just rub me the wrong way -- i think it conveys the wrong impression about the nature of the site and our focus.  Let businesses worry about maximizing profits -- let's us worry about creating the useful content and community.

Perry Mowbray:
I think it's very important not to get caught up in semantics with this. It doesn't matter what you call it: marketing, promotion, telling your friends, posting on forums -- it's all essentially the same thing. As mouser said, you can't survive without other people knowing about you and what you're doing.

What we're really discussing is the balance, and that's the reason people lean toward "promotion" over "marketing", or another term over some other term: each term carries a preconceived idea of the balance between the marketing bit and the other bit (whatever it is that you do).

Our other bit, as zane said, for DC includes:
There are lots of assets, but they start with developers and members. Among the software offered, the contests, the free-wheeling discussions, the software discounts
-zridling (December 31, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is why we're here. As mouser said, if we lose our focus on these things we lose the reason for our dc community. But if we don't have some sort of marketing/promotion/sharing the joy we'll lose the dc community too. Any closed community is doomed, but we're not closed... we have crawlers indexing our site that will come up in web searches. The question about that (passive) marketing/promotion/allowing people to find us is, is it achieving what we need; or is something more required?

Reflecting on what you're doing and how successful it has been is a worthwhile exercise, and I welcome zane's question. It may not be the best subject for general discussion though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version