topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking To Improve My Touch Typing of Symbols  (Read 11740 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking To Improve My Touch Typing of Symbols
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:33 PM »
My New Year's resolution is to stop mucking with DVORAK, COLEMAK, etc. and just become a better touch typist. My problem is that I am good with A-Z, excellent beyond compare with the Backspace key  :-[ but crappy with everything else.

And I am a programmer ! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So I need to work on [ ] { ] \ | > < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +

I am looking for a tutor or game that will allow me to choose the keys I want to practice and then help me practice in a way that doesn't make my want to hang myself by my thumbnails due to boredom.

My goal is to be able to do all of my programming without looking at the keyboard or removing my fingers from home row.

I don't want to "just type" because tying to (re)learn these keys while doing actually coding distracts me from the coding and my productivity drops infinitely close to zero.

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking To Improve My Touch Typing of Symbols
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:07 PM »
I don't know of any tutorials, but way back in the 8-bit days I wrote a little program that let me enter an arbitrary strling and then repeat it any number of times, reporting time taken and number of mistakes made.
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:51 AM »
i was concerned about this too some time ago but for different reasons.

slowmaker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Reinventing the wheel can be fun!
    • View Profile
    • rambling-nerd
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:53 AM »
help me practice in a way that doesn't make my want to hang myself by my thumbnails due to boredom.

I noticed your tag-line mentioned music (breakbeat techno), which reminded me of a semi-obsession I had a few years ago with the idea of 'tune typing'. I never implemented it, but the idea was to tie MIDI notes to keys and ... well, do something. Never did figure out what, it just seemed like such a neat idea I almost couldn't let it go.

Is there anything out there that does something with music and the computer keyboard that would constitute customizable practice? Maybe even just a limited set of notes with a limited few practice keys, like 1 2 3 - 0 9 tied to C Eb F Gb G Bb (blues scale), so that any sequence would have an interesting sound. That way you could type practice sequences without it being quite so boring?
WinXP Home SP3 - PSPad 4.5.4

KeithBu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I would recommend obtaining one of the mature commercial programs.

I use Typing Instructor Platinum version 21 by Individual Software; it's the best I've ever used (and finding the perfect typing tutor had been my obsession for a lot of years). 

It has a built-in "Symbols Plan" that you can use right away, and capability to make your own.  There is large variety of normal and game-type activity, so you should be able to find something that doesn't bore you too much. 

This version has all the bells and whistles and retails for around $30 usd. They have some more inexpensive versions that may meet your needs.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:30 PM »
This reminds me of "The Typing of the Dead" video game (for PC). It was a FPS that required you to type the word on the zombie's chest to kill it.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:54 AM »
This reminds me of "The Typing of the Dead" video game (for PC). It was a FPS that required you to type the word on the zombie's chest to kill it.

Epic Game.

An idea could be to download Stepmania, remap the arrows to the keys you wanna practice, and play a hard song :D

shobazi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Typing master is the best software than anyother..it is like tutor and as well as a game..try it

sarank

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 02:13 PM »
http://www.typefastertypingtutor.com/  this is free and supports plenty of layouts and languages... try it out