ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Something on computer is fubar

<< < (5/10) > >>

4wd:
OK, still trying to track my particular bug down.  On Saturday it went really nuts and started doing it's freeze trick rather often, so today I (un)installed Outpost Security Suite (OSS) and scanned the system again with MalwareBytes - nothing found.

But the system has been nice and quiet which causes me to look rather more closely at some of the alerts I was getting from OSS that I hadn't really been paying enough attention too.

eg. Yesterday, an Attack Detection report for IP 192.168.0.254 on high ports, (40000-65000), which is strange because it's apparently my router that's doing it  :huh:
Standard service ports I could possibly understand but not high ports.  OSS blocks the IP/Subnet if there's a scan of 6 ports within 600ms, IIRC, which kind of meant my net access just got cut.

Anyway, I've turned up OSSs security settings a notch or two and the computer seems to be behaving itself for now.

EDIT: Typical, 5 minutes after writing that the f'n thing happens again - screw it, I think I'll go back to my Amiga3000 which never gave me this much trouble.

cranioscopical:
Typical, 5 minutes after writing that the f'n thing happens again - screw it, I think I'll go back to my Amiga3000 which never gave me this much trouble.
--- End quote ---
  ;D
Keep at it, you'll get there.
There's always a dynamite solution  ;)

4wd:
There's always a dynamite solution  ;)
-cranioscopical (January 03, 2010, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm thinking thermite since it's legal and easy to make plus you can get up close and video as the slag slowly runs in from the top immolating the motherboard on its way.

Then again, reloading my own shotgun cartridges means there's plenty of smokeless and blackpowder on hand  ;D

Oh well, new BIOS to try.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was something consistant, eg. doing something specific in Firefox and/or Thunderbird, but it seems to be semi-random in that it's only likely to happen if I'm running Firefox.  I've restored OS backups created before it started going wacko but it still does it - still, there's a few more things to try software-wise.

cmpm:
I don't mean to sound like you don't know any suggestion out here.

But have you unplugged your router and modem and let them reset, takes a minute or two. The settings are still saved, but they seem to get fubar for some reason, especially with security products.

nite_monkey:
lol, still hijacking My thread I see. Luckily it seems my problem has pretty much disapeared. Not sure what I did either

edit:nvm it started doing it again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version