ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Something on computer is fubar

<< < (4/10) > >>

cmpm:
The paid version of Malwarebytes is the full time protection, or at least always on. And it has an ip blocker that can be enabled and on all the time. It will notify of what they have determined to be a bad address trying to connect.

I would run the sophos rootkit detector-free.
Look for anything you don't recognize as legit.
Random letters with alternating capital letters,
like 4 or 5 maybe more. maybe all lower case too.

And I know about the files for amd and i386 have that,
but this will look different.

http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html

I had 2 ips following me around. Malwarebytes blocked them but I couldn't find the cause after scanning with every gun I could, till I came across Sophos rootkit.

And I tried the other rootkit detectors but nothing showed itself to me like Sophos did. Smitfraud, combofix, others-no help at all.

4wd:
I would run the sophos rootkit detector-free.
-cmpm (December 31, 2009, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion, I ran HijackThis but it showed nothing being run that shouldn't have been.

However, the more the merrier :)

nite_monkey:
lol, I can rule out FF and TB, I use chrome and the web version of gmail. I'm going to run sophos and see what happens, after that I will replace the sata cable... but first, it is about 6 minutes until 2010, so I have other things I need to do.

4wd:
Well, I ran sophos and after 68 minutes it reported 3 hidden files - all of which I knew of.

I then fired up Firefox to post back into the thread and *BANG* the &%^$*# problem appeared immediately and then occured every few minutes until I killed Firefox and rebooted.

So I've reverted to a proper install of Firefox 3.6b5 with just AdBlock+ and TabMix Plus extensions.......plus all toes and fingers crossed.

Unbelievable, everything works fine for just over a week, the minute I post about it *KAPOW!!*

If that isn't the definition of a haunted computer I don't know what is.

BTW, sorry nite_monkey for kind of hijacking your thread, hopefully you'll get something useful out of it.

nite_monkey:
lol, I learned about various things I didn't know through all of this. I also learned taht it is a good thing I use chrome and not firefox

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version