ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Something on computer is fubar

<< < (2/10) > >>

nite_monkey:
It was a hard drive getting ready to fail.  Replaced it and all has been well since.
-bob99 (December 31, 2009, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well I haven't fully ruled out my new hard drive. I guess it is possible that I just got a bum drive.
Though the problem only started 2 days ago.
I was playing batman arkham asylum, because I just bought it and it finally got fully downloaded. My system more than meets the system requirements, and for an hour or two, the game ran fine, but all of a sudden, the freezing every couple of seconds started. So if it is the hard drive, then the drive must have just started to go bad about two days ago.

f0dder:
nite_monkey: those are the settings - if ALL of the controllers are in UDMA mode, then it's not the dma->pio failure, and probably (though not guaranteed!) a failing drive.

If the freezes only happen while playing a game, it could be your GPU overheating...

nite_monkey:
well I mean that is only when it first started. It has also started when I was watching a video, and it wasn't even an hd video at that.

Innuendo:
A couple cheap things to try:

1. Run the diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer's web site. Your hard drive could be defective out of the box.

2. You replaced an old hard drive. Did you replace the cable as well? Hard drive cables do get old & do need to be replaced eventually. A dodgy cable could lead to stuttering like you are experiencing.

nite_monkey:
I never replaced the cable, I might go ahead and use the cable that came with it. I'm fixing to leave for dinner right now though, so I will have to change it when I get back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version