topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: giant start menu  (Read 9517 times)

cctenpro

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: giant start menu
« on: May 01, 2005, 07:39 AM »
I would like to see an app that would expand the start button menu to the entire screen so that i can completely clear my desktop of all icons, you know, when you hit the start button on xp, you get a pop up with all of your previous desktop icons,,,the size of the desktop. I don't know about funny, but it sure would be nice. thanks. cctenpro
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:50 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: giant start menu
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:43 AM »
i think your best solution might be a replacement launcher too..
anyone know of any that duplicate start menu contents but display it in a bigger fuller fashion?

Dragonrider

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 12:20 PM »
What about making an app that when the left mouse button is clicked on the desktop (not on an icon) that a popup start menu appears in a floating menu.  This would allow the use to do less movement of the mouse to execute programs.  I've seen alot of prog launchers, but nothing that brings up the start menu.

Also in relation to this thread, can the size of the text be specified so that it can be alot larger than the default font for those of us who are visually impaired?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 12:49 PM »
there is a right-click desktop start menu freeware somewhere i've seen.. anyone know it?

i actually have an idea for a cool start menu launcher tool, that would truely be truly unusual, so id like to see any other start menu tricks..

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 01:18 PM »
i think i've seen a couple or so.

having a quick look at what i've used in the past (must have been on win98 or 95) i found 'start or switch (sos)' but it didn't work correctly when i installed it a few minutes ago so not much point going any further with that.

'perfect menu' http://www.pitrinec.com/pmeindex.htm offers quite a few options - one of which is a right click start menu.

i'm sure there was some super-duper menu util that did everything under the sun and claimed to be a complete replacement for the windows start menu - i think that did a right click anywhere menu thing. really can't remember the name of it though, sorry.

frogblast

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 07:32 PM »
Two words: PowerPro, again. I know, it sounds like I'm a freakin' PR manager for it--which would be unusual, since it's freeware.

PowerPro can show a Start menu at the mouse position when you left-click, right-click, middle-click, whatever, on the desktop or anywhere else you choose. Another alternative is to show the Start menu when you simply "bump" the mouse against an edge of the screen.

I keep recommending this program because it really can do almost anything, in terms of interacting with the computer. But many people find it very complicated to set up, which is what keeps it from becoming a hit. If anyone is interested I can post a single-purpose PowerPro config file for the Start menu thing or any other thing, when I have spare time. Then someone can just overwrite the default config with the single-purpose one and instantly have the feature they want, with no effort. With a simple config, PowerPro only takes up a few hundred KB in memory.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 07:11 AM »
you've absolutely convinced me now frogblast, i'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to get my head around power pro. i hope to be a power pro guru by the end of the week...

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 02:52 AM »
True Launch Bar and its freeware version, Free Launch Bar, may work as well.  I use TLB and it lets you configure how large menus (and icons) should be, how many columns, and so on.

http://www.truelaunchbar.com/
http://www.freelaunchbar.com/
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »