ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: "Compress each folder to separate archive"

(1/2) > >>

neptitude:
Using Windows Explorer in Vista with WinRAR (or 7zip) installed, when I right click on a group of archives, there is a menu choice to Extract each archive to separate folder in WinRAR (or Extract to "*\" in 7zip). I have a number of folders, each with hundreds of subfolders and I need to create .zips or .rars of each subfolder. (I'll be posting these archives to Usenet, so RARs are preferred). Doing them one at a time is going to drive me mad.  :-\

I'd like to see a simple right-click menu item saying Compress each folder to separate archive. Choosing this command will take each folder in a group of 2 or more selected folders and RAR (preferably) or ZIP each folder to a separate archive in the same directory (using the program defaults for creating archives). Or, if they are right-click-dragged to another folder, the option will be Compress each folder to separate archive here, creating the archives in the target directory.

I don't think recursiveness is required since it's not offered in the Extract... command this is mirroring and might make things too complex.

Doable? Soon, maybe?

slowmaker:
Drag and Drop Robot might do what you're after, but it wouldn't be on the context menu. I only just started playing with it myself, so I can't be sure, but the help file introduction has this in it:

A good example for the use of Drag and Shell Robot is in zipping multiple folders.  First the command line for invoking the zip command is specified, and then folders are dragged from explorer onto the folder queue.  Pressing start will cause the program to walk through the queue, zipping each folder in turn.

--- End quote ---

Sounds pretty close to me.

neptitude:
Thanks for the suggestion, Slowmaker. You're right about it sounding like it should be what I need (minus the right-click functionality).

But after trying it and spending a few hours playing with it, I'm finding that

* the program uses way too much of my CPU, taking up one entire core of my quad core, and
* it gets "stuck" pretty often, freezing mid-operation and refusing to interrupt its task, so I have to kill the process in Task Manager.
I can't figure out what is special about the files it gets stuck on -- some are very big, others small, some early in a batch and some late. I did notice that it is very picky about filenames, throwing up errors if there are periods in the file or folder name.

So, while it was a good suggestion, it's still not what I need.

I'm hoping that the lack of responses other than yours is just due to the New Year holiday and that I might get other suggestions next week.

skwire:
I could write you an app that would do what you want but it's not going to have the full shell integration you're requesting.  Basically, you would have a source and destination folder and a few zipfile options.  Heck, I could even add your method to SpinZip, another Coding Snack I wrote.  Your thoughts?

Target:
I don't have it installed here but I'm pretty sure WinRAR already does this (though not from the context menu)

it's a while since i've done this but there's an option (checkbox) on one of the tabs when creating an archive

downside is that you can't pick a single folder and apply it to all the subfolders (you have to select the folders first)

it could also be worth looking at the command line options (these could be scripted)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version