ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are my EBook Reader dreams going to be answered in 2010? A full size reader?

<< < (10/10)

f0dder:
I wish it would be possible to overlay an e-ink display with a multi-touch TFT... if the TFT could be completely transparent when inactive. This would combine the readability and low battery drain of the e-ink with TFT's fast update time (zooming, panning, navigating, bookmarks, whatever). That, or have the TFT on the flip side - keeping the device thin, light and durable is über-important, though.

ljbirns:
From the Wall Street journal. July 2, 2010

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704525704575340873427693654.html?KEYWORDS=kindle&mg=com-wsj

Renegade:
My wish list:

SUMMARY: Good hardware with good software and a store to go along with it all.

* Fast CPU
* Lots of storage
* Colour
* EXCELLENT document format support, i.e. Include DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, PDF, etc.
* High resolution
* Easily scalable (multi-touch zooming)
* Easily pannable (single touch panning/scrolling)
* NOT broken by design, i.e. Not f***ed by DRM  >:(
* Excellent video and audio support, MPEG codecs, XVID, AVI, DIVX, MP3, etc.
* Excellent networking and file transfer software --- easy, simple, do the work for me instead of being a lazy programmer... grrrr...
* Software that is done intelligently, and not just lazy hacked up s**t like most is. i.e. It needs to have both basic and advanced interfaces. Give me ALL the power I can get, but don't shove it in my face. More power. Better access to it. Not that hard, but definitely very rare. Especially from hardware companies. I've never seen any hardware with software that remotely compared to what I get on my desktop/laptop.
* A GOOD STORE TO GO ALONG WITH IT -- NOT S**T LIKE THE ITUNES STORE  >:( --- CRUCIAL -- IMPORTANT -- 100% GUARANTEED TO GET ME OFF MY @$$ TO BUY IT NOW! AND NOT HOSED BY DRM. I HAVE LAPTOPS AND DESKTOPS AS WELL THAT I WANT TO USE

The last point there is probably the #1 thing to motivate me to buy.

I am not even looking into the market now because I just don't have the faith that I won't be wasting time. I doubt that there's anything that even looks remotely attractive now. i.e. There are no stores to buy books, movies, TV shows and other stuff. They all suck beyond human comprehension. Not even Amazon can get it right. They have many products with no description! How stupid is that? :( A store needs to actually have stuff for sale (the iTunes store has jack all -- 50 million pages of Doctor Who shows doesn't count as a selection) and it needs to be both searchable and sortable -- i.e. I don't want to sort through 50 million Doctor Who episodes or 50 trillion pages of crap I am not interested in. Filters. It's an old concept. No reason not to make it a reality. :(

Am I just too picky? Jaded? Am I overly demanding? Asking for the sun, moon and stars?

ljbirns:
You forgot -  Price under $ 149.00 USD

Renegade:
You forgot -  Price under $ 149.00 USD
-ljbirns (July 03, 2010, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahah~! That would be nice, but I think given my criteria, that would be sun, moon and stars. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version