ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are my EBook Reader dreams going to be answered in 2010? A full size reader?

<< < (8/10) > >>

VictorM:
that looks nice, would be great to hold it and test it before getting too excited though.
I agree, it's worth paying for certain newspapers and magazines, at least until their authors go freelance and you can aggregate their blogs in your news feed :-)

Nod5:
Some CES news (and pics and vid) on the PixelQi screens here:
http://www.liliputing.com/2010/01/up-close-with-pixel-qis-dual-mode-lcd-display-video.html
"... you can put a Pixel Qi display in a netbook, tablet, or eBook reader and have a device that you can read indoors or outdoors. It can handle full motion video. And there’s non of that page refreshing effect that you experience with eBook readers like the Kindle and Nook."
--- End quote ---

mouser:
Amazon's Kindle DX (9.7 inch screen) just got updated hardware and a price drop (from $489 to $379):

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/07/01/kindle.dx.gets.remake.and.379.price/

It's not the perfect ebook reader i've been waiting for (i want a smaller screen and faster page turning), BUT at this price it's very tempting to buy one and plan to replace it in a couple of years..

I'm just trying to figure out if i should hold out a little longer for something closer to what i am looking for -- if something is just around the corner.  if i knew nothing better was going to come out in 2010 i'd probably go for it.

Thoughts?

JavaJones:
Mmm, really hard to say Mouser. The thing is the "pad" market is about to explode, so personally I'd be inclined to wait until end of year before making the jump. That being said, all of these products - that are not dedicated e-book readers that is - will be kind of "first generation" and thus have the usual problems associated with that sort of thing. Nice thing about the Kindle is it's relatively mature now, and of course very purpose-built.

So I guess actually if all you want is a really good e-book reader, maybe grab the DX now. If you're *interested* in and/or open to the idea of a more full-featured tablet that also works well as an e-book reader and are willing to wait, it might be good to see how the market shakes out by Christmas...

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
(i want a smaller screen and faster page turning)
-mouser (July 01, 2010, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? I thought you wanted a full 8.5x11 size screen? If my math is correct, that would be nearly a 14" (diagonal) screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version