ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are my EBook Reader dreams going to be answered in 2010? A full size reader?

<< < (2/10) > >>

mouser:
a 10.1" screen is no where near large enough - an 8.5x11" paper is about 13.75" diagonal.

cmpm:
Yes, too small, I know.
I think they will get bigger.
Not necessarily this brand either.
More talk and competition will bring it around.

mouser:
Watching videos (http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid980795693?bctid=1778578839 and http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid980795693?bctid=1778578839) i'm afraid that xtabber might be right, that the form factor of the Plastic Logic device is 8.5 x 11" , but the screen is a lot smaller.  Also looks to be incredibly slow.  :down: :down:

More dreams crushed.  :(

xtabber:
My desires are:

* 8.5x11" Screen
* Native PDF rendering
* Reasonably fast page turning
* Basic ability to add notations-mouser (December 29, 2009, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can agree with points 2-4, but why are you so hung up on the idea of a physical 8.5x11 screen? The only thing I can think of is that you might want to trace images from the screen onto a standard letter sized sheet of paper.

Size certainly matters to those of us of a certain age -- I'm certainly not going to read books on an iPhone or Droid, as my nephews do -- but given a reasonably large screen (e.g., 8x10"), what matters far more to me is resolution, competent software and the ability to organize the contents of the device so I can find what I want easily.

My main interest in an ereader is to read journal articles and technical books, and these are nearly always in PDF format, but they are not all text files -- many are scanned -- which is why my priorities are, in addition to high resolution, the ability to zoom and pan. Also, since the greatest attraction of an ereader is the ability to carry a lot of reading material around, I simply don't understand why none of the current devices provide a folder tree to organize contents.

mouser:
its not that it has to be exactly 8.5x11, it's that i need to be able to open a pdf file of standard printed page size, and see the whole page and be able to read it comfortably -- and not need to pan and zoom.

now my eyes are ok, i could live with print size a little smaller than that found in standard scientific journals, but not too much -- this is already small type.

the main point is being able to show a full page on the screen and read it comfortably without having to pan and zoom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version