ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are my EBook Reader dreams going to be answered in 2010? A full size reader?

<< < (6/10) > >>

mouser:
from official page:

DEVICE SIZE:
9 inches (228.6 mm) by
11 inches (279.4 mm) by
0.268 inches (6.8 mm)
--- End quote ---

so it's not going to be a full sized 8.5x11 page, but it's getting closer.
i still don't understand why they come so close to a full page display and yet don't seem to think it's important to actually make it full size.. you'd think that it would be enough of a selling point to make it something they would want to achieve..

Mark0:
If the resolution would be high enough, then even a screen a bit smaller would work perfectly full page, with no pan & zoom.
But the contrary is also true: if the resolution remain the same (seems that 1600x1200 is the top currently), even if the screen is 1 or 2 inches taller won't necessarily make it more readable / useful.

mouser:
you're right -- thank you for reminding me that i don't really need an exact full size page -- i just need something that can render a full sized 8.5"x11" page onto it's screen legibly.  And with some smart border whitepace removal, these near-full-sized displays might be fine.

cmpm:
Are they all using there own software or what?
Seems that there should be choices.
If not it could get outdated quick.
If better readers can't be used or alternates.
Whatever software one prefers.

xtabber:
One of the earlier descriptions I had seen stated that you would not need the Skiff Reader to access Skiff Store content, but the Reader itself would be limited to Skiff Store content. That seems to be confirmed by the web site. See: http://www.skiff.com/skiff-service.html

Unless Hearst and whoever else is backing Skiff plans to give the device away to subscribers, I just don't see that kind of closed environment gaining any kind of traction in the market. Both Apple and Microsoft/HP are introducing general purpose tablets this month and I expect that strong competition will force the cost of e-ink readers supporting PDF and other open formats to drop substantially this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version