ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows XP SP3 due for release .... (don't hold your breath)

<< < (2/5) > >>

cmpm:
So...what does SP3 do?

I think I'll wait and see some feedback.
But I haven't looked for any yet either.

Will it make unwanted changes also?

Carol Haynes:
The only unwanted change I am aware of is that it removes the "Address Bar" toolbar for the TaskBar as it is a apparently a security risk. Personally I do use it so it will be a nuisance. There seems to be a bit of a speed bump reported in the release candidates though whether MS will be cynical enough to ensure that is removed to make Vista seem slower than XP ....

The main thing is it rolls up all previous updates and so if you need to reinstall XP it is much quicker and doesn't mean you spend a day downloading gazillions of updates. Presumably if the update works as advertised ot will also clean up your installation a bit by removing all the earlier included updates from Add/Remove Programs and ensure that they are all installed consistently (there have been some issues in the past where one update applied out of sequence reverts a previous update).

Hopefully they have sorted out the SP2 TCPIP.SYS stupid security fix (ie. limit outgoing TCPIP connections to 10). If not does anyone know if the widely available patch/hack works with SP3 too as without that it makes using Torrents pretty well  impossible?

Stoic Joker:
It's going to be downloadable from MS on the 29th so is there any point downloading a dubious copy from a dubious source ?-Carol Haynes (April 23, 2008, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
100% agreed

Incidentally when it is released can you slipstream it to an SP2 disc or do you need an original XP disc to slipstream?
--- End quote ---

I've found it to be a best practice not to slipstream an image twice. We've all heard the horror stories about bad disk image install failures. I always keep a vanilla image stored, SS it once, burn it slow (6x or less), and I've never had an image fail. <- Now watch me blow this next one...)

I've got MSDN access, so I can try to do some testing in VPC this weekend if I have time.
[/quote]

Carol Haynes:
That's what I was wondering.

I have numerous XP discs but unfortunately they are all SP1 or SP2 versions. I never had an original disc.

Anyone know if MS are going to make Windows XP SP3 available in CDROM format? I presume not since they are discontinuing XP production in June.

Stoic Joker:
Hopefully they have sorted out the SP2 TCPIP.SYS stupid security fix (ie. limit outgoing TCPIP connections to 10). If not does anyone know if the widely available patch/hack works with SP3 too as without that it makes using Torrents pretty well  impossible?
-Carol Haynes (April 23, 2008, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
The only time I've run into this as an issue was part of a network scanner I'm currently working on. If there were a block of dead addresses it would tend to stall for ~15sec about every ~20 Addys. I stopped doing a WSACleanup() on the dead socket (null...) instances and just set them to null. Not only did the problem go away but the app quit throttling the processor during the scan. Now it runs at a consistant speed on everything from Win2k all the way up to Server 2008.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version