ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox startup faster.

<< < (2/9) > >>

MilesAhead:
It's impressive to see real geeks at work!

So, from what i can make of what you said.
It's something that could possibly help some folks.
-dantheman (December 29, 2009, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

What OS are you running?  If you use Vista or W7 and use FF all the time, Superfetch should have that in its stats anyway.

The other trick is to load it on bootup.  Perhaps with a delay.  I was doing this for awhile on my secondary machine.  Only thing is I tend to forget about it and start typing only to have FF come up in the middle of what I'm doing.

Isn't someone on here loading it from a ram disk?  That's another approach.

dantheman:
Still hanging in with XP Home.

I know it takes time on initial start up but generally speaking, i do find it speedier afterward.

MilesAhead:
Still hanging in with XP Home.

I know it takes time on initial start up but generally speaking, i do find it speedier afterward.
-dantheman (December 29, 2009, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you're not going to go with a ramdisk or running it off some solid state or USB drive then the trick would be to have a program run it, then kill it.  That way it's in the file system cache.  Also you can play around with fsutil settings for NTFS file system.  See this geek tip.  I have mine set to 2 on all my OS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/increase-the-filesystem-memory-cache-size-in-vista/

The tweak should also work on XP. It's an NTFS thing rather than an OS thing.

Tuxman:
Firefox starts incredibly fast if you don't install hundreds of add-ons and purge your databases sometimes.

dantheman:
Milesahead,

I tried that cmd tweak but nothing would change so i then tried the more "direct" registry one without any success.
Here's a snapshot:

Make Firefox startup faster.

The section seems to be none existent.

BTW, i'm not complaining about Firefox, it's just that i was wondering if i was the only one noticing an increase in startup speed with the addition as initially stated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version