topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: A single hotkey that runs a single command line. Smallest. Snack. Ever?  (Read 5395 times)

tmpusr

• Joined in 2005
  • Instantiation stuck in meatspace with no backup
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Should just wait and consume no CPU.

If you can make an icon or a colored or transparent area that runs a program when clicked, that'd be nice to have too for the occasions when pressing or remembering a hot key is just too much work. A single pixel in a corner would be nice.

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I guess the obvious questions are 1) Which operating system? 2) What command line? 3) Is a gui required for changing the command line? 4) Or is changing a .ini style file sufficient?

I can't help feeling you'd be better off with a launcher style program like popsel, qsel, our-own (or rather Mousers' own) FARR or launchy. Either one could be tethered to a hotkey (using start-menu shortcuts for instance).
-------------------------------------------

Question everything, use a fact-checker.
Respect yourself and respect others.
Peace out!

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Isn't that what the "Run..." option is for in XP?  If so, I know Vista and 7 have something similar, though I don't remember where or what it is called since I don't use those systems much.

Sorry, missed the hotkey request.  The windows hotkey for this is Win+R.  See?  Already built in - no extra resources.  Now FARR is great if you want to extend that, but for this single snack, Win+R works great.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:20 PM by steeladept »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, missed the hotkey request.  The windows hotkey for this is Win+R.  See?  Already built in - no extra resources.
Except if you want to run a predefined command-line :)
- carpe noctem