topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to reassign monitor numbering in dual-monitor setup (XP)?  (Read 8909 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a dual monitor setup and every once in a while (I don't know why), the numbering of the monitors gets flipped.  This is a big pain in the but because now I have to redo my settings and go in the display control panel and change everything so that the order (from left to right) is 2-1, where it used to be 1-2.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to reassign what is "1" and what is "2", but I can't find anything for that.  Even if I check settings that say make this monitor "primary" that still doesn't change the monitor's number.  So, any advice on this?

KeithBu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to reassign monitor numbering in dual-monitor setup (XP)?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58 AM »
I had this problem intermittently for a long time also, and found this solution recently:

http://www.sevenforu...monitor-support.html

"In the screen resolution settings, just grab the monitor and move it to the other side"

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I had this problem intermittently for a long time also, and found this solution recently:

http://www.sevenforu...monitor-support.html

"In the screen resolution settings, just grab the monitor and move it to the other side"

No, that doesn't fix it.  I mean, yes, it fixes it in the sense that everything seems to be back to normal.  However, the monitors will then be in the order of 2-1, which i don't like.  i want to actually change the monitor numbering.  Why?  Because many programs remember which monitor they last ran on, and when they switch like this, you have your programs opening on the opposite monitors than you like.  So, the real, ideal fix is to renumber the monitors.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:56 PM »
If it's one graphics card with two connections, try switching the cables.

If it's two cards, then I'm not sure if you want to switch, depending on the card's abilities.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:40 PM »
If it's one graphics card with two connections, try switching the cables.

If it's two cards, then I'm not sure if you want to switch, depending on the card's abilities.
Yeah, I know.  But I wanted to see if it could be done with some kind of software or tweak.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Someone really really really needs to make a program that will allow users to manually reassign monitor numbers on Windows.  No cable changing, no workarounds with monitor placements in the display properties.  Actual, real reassignment of the monitor numbering.  As in, "I want this monitor to be #1".  All the workarounds are frustrating and a pain in the butt.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:33 AM »
That, I believe, would have to necessarily rest in the hands of either Microsoft or the individual driver writers - probably a little of both!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, probably.  I imagine the drivers for the more crazy multi-monitor setups are handled much better.  Let's say you have a 20 monitor setup.  I can't imagine assigning monitor numbers is this lame.  Can you imagine??  If monitor #18 and 19 were not in the right place?  You'd have to switch the cables and/or physically switch the monitor positions.  And then you'd have the problem of which was the primary one and where the startbar would appear.  There's no way they don't have a better way of doing it.