ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Send key or run app/function when window gets/loses focus or is hovered on

(1/2) > >>

tmpusr:
Features:

-Action just by having the cursor enter/leave the window or clicking
-Send key combo
-Run a cmd line app with the window's name, path\exe, or PID as a parameter
-Suspend process
-Resume process
-Change window size and state (max/min just vertically or horizontally)
-Action delay by ms (so that you could leave the window for a while without triggering)
-Configure actions per window name, exe, or PID
-Exclusion list so that not all windows (vital system processes, like Explorer, Taskmgr) are affected

Examples:

Save CPU: Suspend almost every process except the window with focus.
This would be accomplished by suspending/resuming the process or sending a pause/resume key combo to a virtual machine when it loses/gets focus.

Screen filled with auto-resizing windows: Resize/maximize window when it's clicked/hovered on, and when it loses focus it's resized back/minimized.

What to call it? The Windowator, or the Windowizer?

tmpusr:
Here's how it might be implemented:

Since a suspended process is unresponsive to anything else but the resume command, create a hidden rectangle over each paused process window that reacts to mouse entering it and issuing a resume. When the mouse leaves it, suspend again.

Please, could you at least tell me can this be done?

To focus CPU I currently use Actual Booster for setting the active process priority high, while (almost) every process is set to low by default, increasing system responsiveness in some cases tremendously.

Applies also to:

IDEA: VirtualBox/VMware auto-pause/resume when mouse leaves/enters window
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=19378.msg173448#msg173448

MilesAhead:
You might start with this as a base:

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#MouseActivate

tmpusr:
It seems to me that the needed pieces are known and mostly coded already, except for 'create rectangle and react to it'. I wonder does this qualify as a snack or would it require a lot of coding? It all seems very straightforward. While I've never coded in this language and don't even know where to start, it looks like some of you could almost just drop in some blocks of existing code and be done with it.

MilesAhead:
The trouble is, when you start juggling around the priorities of tasks on the system, it's an easy way to turn a working system into something that hangs, blue screens, and otherwise makes the user mad.

I know I don't want to mess with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version