ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (15/18) > >>

zridling:
For me (using a virtualized Win7), it has to be a file manager of the caliber of XYplorer or Directory Opus. After that, everything else is second place.

shobazi:
Thanks for sharing the useful tools..nice stuff

vetegr:
All freeware:

Everything  -  File finder.  Finds files instantly.  Honest.  Often before you finish typing the name.

JBMail  -  Email reader.  Doesn't download emails (unless you tell it to).  Leaves them on the server and shows you the headers.  Double-click to read.  Since it doesn't download them all, it's super fast.  Can be set to strip away everything except text so that you Never get a virus from the message body.  All the basic functions -- address books, reply, attach, spam filters, etc.

WinPatrol  -  Monitors critical files, registry, startup, etc., tells if you something messes with them.  Lets you delay the launch of some of your startup programs, for faster booting.  Many other functions.  Easy to use.

ERUNT  -  Backup and restore the registry.

Exact Audio Copy

Sandboxie  -  Run your browser, or any other program, in a sandbox.  If you get malware, just delete the sandbox and your real system is untouched.  Easy to use.

VLC  -  Media player that reads virtually every format.  Launches quickly.  Functional real-time controls for color, brightness, playback speed, etc.

Foxit Reader  -  Read and edit PDF files.  Launches much faster than Adobe, runs faster too.  If you turn javascript off, it's far less vulnerable to infection than Adobe.

SharpKeys  -  Change any key to anything else.  I made the irritating CapsLock key into an extra Alt key.

Curt:
delete

Curt:
- welcome at DC, vetegr :-)  and Thanks for telling.

I didn't know about JBMail; will go and try to test it.  :up:

Edited:
eh... not updated for six years?!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version