ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (13/18) > >>

Dormouse:
Programs can be in the middle of writing to the stick. If they are, then the info on the stick can be corrupted.

Shades:
@ Curt:
There can be a time difference between you giving the command to write to your USB stick and your system actually doing the writing to the USB stick. If the pulling out trick went good for you all this time you can be considered lucky. Speaking from personal experience, the file-system on your stick can be damaged in such a way that only formatting can fix.  

Curt:
"I am LUCKY"??!! Wow, I will read those words some more times!

Thankx, to both of you. I have been offered 'USB Safely Remove ' for free several times within the last couple of weeks, but didn't take any of the offers. Now that I understand that I should have, it is not free any more! Sigh sigh.. But of course, if I really am LUCKY, it should be offered for free quite soon, shouldn't it?
 :D

Dormouse:
You get away with it for 95%, or even 99%, of the time, so it is easy to think that a safe removal is an unnecessary inconvenience. But sooner or later it will get you unless you are VERY VERY LUCKY.

USB Safely Remove does seem to have lots of free offers (usually for a limited period of use) and discounts. I started off with a free period, but then paid up when a decent discount came round. I would have felt bad not to have paid for something I found so useful and which is so reasonably priced even without a discount.

f0dder:
Curt: just use windows' built-in "safely remove" feature, no need for an extra app for that. But it is dangerous to just yank out your stick... I wouldn't even consider doing that anymore. Also, as an advantage to always doing things the proper way :), you can set the properties of the USB disk to "optimize for performance" which can mean tremendous speed boost for file operations on those devices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version