ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (11/18) > >>

yksyks:
Dormouse, you're not alone. All my computers' desktops are just empty areas filled with a solid color, no icons, no pictures. Since then my systems are more responsive, which was the primary reason to get rid of everything there. However, I let all important applications create theirs icons on desktop despite they are not visible, because FARR can find them faster.

hwtan:
Glad you like the program, Curt.

Just tested that it works on Windows 2008 Server 64 bit edition, so there's a good chance it might work on Win7 and Vista 64 bit.

As for my must-have Windows Programs :

- Total Commander
- FirstDefence ISR
- ESET Smart Security
- Sandboxie
- Editpad Pro
- SecureCRT
- Visual Studio 2005

(edit 1: add must-have programs, edit 2: added Sandboxie to list of must-have programs)

Yesterday I updated Desktop Icon Toy to version 4, and when I tested it, I saw all the icons on my desktop and was reminded of a small but necessary, well, a must-have program for Windows: deskicons. On 2000 and on XP it was fairly easy to hide the desktop icons, but on Vista it isn't. Except if you have this program. One Run, and they are hidden, one more Run and they will show. The program closes when the job is done.

I don't know if hwtan wrote this program himself, but I have not been able to find deskicons.exe anywhere else, so maybe he did.

:up: _ (see attachment in previous post)

Edited:
I am using it on Vista 32-bits.
[hint] It would be nice to know if it also works on Win 7, and on 64-bits. [/hint]
-Curt (December 28, 2009, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Curt:
The time I appreciate my desktop-folder solution the most is, when I have installed a new program and it creates a shortcut (on the desktop) with a name beginning different from the program's name. As an example, the common but stupid habit (original from Microsoft?): "Launch Babylon". Now who the f#©◊ is going to look under "L" to find a name beginning with "B"??? It may be a really fine program, but the naming of this shortcut was so STUPID, it made me shiver; I couldn't find the bloody icon on the desktop!

In a folder this will never be a problem. Quickly change the listed order, with a single click, and Voila!, the newest is the first to see.

tranglos:
The time I appreciate my desktop-folder solution the most is, when I have installed a new program and it creates a shortcut (on the desktop) with a name beginning different from the program's name. As an example, the common but stupid habit (original from Microsoft?): "Launch Babylon". Now who the f#©◊ is going to look under "L" to find a name beginning with "B"??? -Curt (December 29, 2009, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is so true! Of course all Office apps are listed as "Microsoft Word", "Microsoft Excel", etc., immediately preempting any attempt at incremental search. This is one of the many reasons FARR is so immensely good.

Darwin:
- yes, Mike, but I was concerned with the 400 other icons...  ;D

The text in the box sounds to me as if it only concerns the (approx) five system icons. Am I wrong (again)? Anyway, deskicons.exe is an excellent program, and is only 1½ kb!!!
-Curt (December 28, 2009, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah... yes, you are correct. I thought you were concerned about getting rid of the default windows icons  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version