topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PDF Cataloger - Any Suggestions  (Read 23562 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PDF Cataloger - Any Suggestions
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:53 AM »

Over time I have collected or created a number of PDF's.  Work and non-work related, each in a variety of categories.  I try to set-up and keep each in it's own category folder.  After a while I still end up looking through the different folders, sometimes drives, for a PDF I know I've saved.
Anyone know of an app that will allow me to catalog PDF's? Set up titles, keywords or tags, etc for each for easier retrieval.  I am using PDFCreator and Foxit Reader at present.  I have tried a variety of search phrases on DC and web for a PDF catalog and nothing so far.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thx.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PDF Cataloger - Any Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:12 AM »
here'S one possibility:-
BenuBird Pro is now freeware! - also mentioned elsewhere here
not a user myself btw (I have no need)
Tom

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:58 AM »
You could try Tag2Find - I use it all the time, very good indeed.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I have a large collection of technical papers in TXT and PDF format. I'm currently using a free (donation requested) app called Calibre to keep them organized.

Note: This app was primarily designed for managing e-books, so it also has a bunch of features (e-book device support, multi-format conversions, news downloads, etc.) which I don't use. I can't personally vouch for all the things it claims it can do. But for what I do use it for, it's worked like a champ.

Link: http://calibre-ebook.com  

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will check them out.  I had even commented on BenuBird in the thread tomos references.  So much for MY memory.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 05:25 AM »
There is also : PDFKeeper

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:12 AM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 08:14 AM »
Mendeley?
-fenixproductions (December 27, 2009, 06:12 AM)

Mendeley looks awesome. Do you know if it can be used purely as a standalone desktop app (after registration) or are you required to keep your database synced with their servers?

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 08:54 AM »
240hz
IIRC last time I was testing it I did not use their servers functionality at all. But it would be better for you to check it by yourself.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:41 AM »
I've catalogued mine in MobiReader!  :Thmbsup:

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:04 PM »
You might want to take a look at IzArc for a compressor app.
Open it up, select all file formats, point it to your downloads folder and you're off and running!
I've used it for years and would rather fight than switch. 8)

http://www.izarc.org/

BillB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Most of the above work on single desktops, or else offer a service to sync with an online server (eg Mendeley).  it would be great to find something which allows a small workgroup (eh a home office) to share a PDF catalogue solution over a network.  Benubird looks great, but even the pro version "for home and business" is not multi-user.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

thanks

Bill

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Could you just use FILE_ID.DIZ descriptions, which are understood by various file managers, e.g. Total Commander?  And/or, use a standard file cataloguing app such as Disk Explorer Professional, now freeware?  Or could you just use File Hound 3.2 (or the earlier Hound 1.0), both free, for searching for text in PDFs?

DC threads:

BillB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52 AM »
rjbull - thanks for the suggestions and the lateral thinking.  Not sure I understand what to do with FILE_ID.DIZ, but it would seem to involve typing descriptions, which would be difficiult for large numbers of PDFs.  I was already thinking of digging out my old copy of "Where Is It" which is a CD/Disk catalogue application, like Disk Explorer Pro, but a bit more sophisticated, I think.  As for File Hound, that is really useful, especially when associated with Folders in Explorer (right-click folder and select "Hound").  THE PDF text-based preview is very helpful.  However, real-time search of PDF folders on my NAS is a bit slow, (which is why a tag/database system like Benubird would be nice).  Better than searching via Explorer though.

Thanks again - I am sure there is something out there - just hard to find...

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:40 PM »
If you are a programmer there are programs (such as the excellant ExifTool by Phil Harvey) that will read/write metadata to PDF files.  Therefore you could write a frontend.  I realize this is much more time-consuming and may not be practical, but it's an option.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Most of the above work on single desktops, or else offer a service to sync with an online server (eg Mendeley).  it would be great to find something which allows a small workgroup (eh a home office) to share a PDF catalogue solution over a network.  Benubird looks great, but even the pro version "for home and business" is not multi-user.

It's not cheap, but Extensis Portfolio Server is just what you are looking for. It's Digital Asset Management software for cataloging any type of files, not just images & video. (there is a much cheaper stand alone version, but it's only for one machine with files stored locally)

Now that you know the category of software you are looking for, it might be easier to find other Digital Asset Management solutions that are not quite as expensive.

BillB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 10:35 AM »
kfitting - well, I'm no programmer... if only there was a forum that programmers frequented and took up suggestions for useful software.  Oh well.

app103 - Extensis Portfolio Server  - ho ho - when the purchasing link on a website says "Ready to Take the Next Step? Then get in touch with your corporate sales representative." you just know it is going to be silly money.  If it wasn't, they would just state the price options.  Nonetheless, I appreciate your point about Digital Asset Management - many thanks.