topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anti-Virus Package  (Read 146047 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anti-Virus Package
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Samer from freewaregenius.com did a comparison of "the best free antivirus" recently.. not sure if it was discussed here already but the interesting fact for me was that AVG managed to reduce the number of false positives significantly, very helpful when working with scripts and batch files..

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Samer from freewaregenius.com did a comparison of "the best free antivirus" recently.. not sure if it was discussed here already but the interesting fact for me was that AVG managed to reduce the number of false positives significantly, very helpful when working with scripts and batch files..

Unfortunately a little too late. The false positives 'attacks' twice within 10 month made me give up on AVG and buy Avast. I still think that AVG is one of the best AV programmes out there but when it told me (after a regular update) that FARR is a a virus I gave up. For now it's Avast Pro, PC tools FW and Thread Fire. Naturally Thread Fire doesn't have problem with this FW but it does with many others.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:59 AM by biox »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2009, 06:36 AM »
does anyone know of a reasonable anti-virus that's also free for commercial use ?

I'm presuming Comodo would be free that way, seeing as they dont have a paid version
Actually there's not much reference to Comodo anti-virus here (& most references are quite old now) - anyone got experience there?

It's for a vista laptop (for a family member who last year paid Norton a huge fee and is now broke lol)
Tom

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2009, 07:58 AM »
does anyone know of a reasonable anti-virus that's also free for commercial use ?

I'm presuming Comodo would be free that way, seeing as they dont have a paid version
Actually there's not much reference to Comodo anti-virus here (& most references are quite old now) - anyone got experience there?

It's for a vista laptop (for a family member who last year paid Norton a huge fee and is now broke lol)

I guess the best way would be to sign up here http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_comodo_antivirus-b86.0/ and read a little through the admittedly numerous posts.

Edit: My Tyyping skills are at their bestest at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:06 AM by biox »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08 AM »

Maybe ClamWin?  But it scans files only, and doesn't have a real-time scanner.

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2009, 05:06 AM »
Somebody please enlighten me. How would they actually know that you use it commercially?

Similar to that AlwaySync where the developers think that synchronizing once a day is too much for private use.

Really, I have no idea. I use my lapdogs at home and at the uni but use some 'free for private use' software. Am I commiting a crime :tellme: :o

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2009, 06:18 AM »
Somebody please enlighten me. How would they actually know that you use it commercially?
I use my lapdogs at home and at the uni but use some 'free for private use' software. Am I commiting a crime :tellme: :o
I dont think so - and wouldnt care if I was you ;)
it's more if you're registered as self-employed or as a business -
then you can get checked up on (probably varies from country to country)
These days there's so much good cheap or free software I made a decision to stick to the rules - it's one less thing to worry about
Tom

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2009, 05:00 PM »
I dont think so - and wouldnt care if I was you ;)
it's more if you're registered as self-employed or as a business -
then you can get checked up on (probably varies from country to country)
These days there's so much good cheap or free software I made a decision to stick to the rules - it's one less thing to worry about

In no way did I mean to imply that I care ;) I'm self employed, lecture at several universities and had of course (according to local law) to register that as a business. Confusing enough? Good :D

I know about free software and use it a lot, what interests me is the technology or whatever behind them checking if it's private or not. AlwaySync and some others do this by limiting the times you can use it in a given period of time but how about the others? BTW I bought GoodSync because AlwaySync, as good as it is, p****d me off.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17 PM »
In no way did I mean to imply that I care ;)
gotcha lol
No, the aspect I was considering was someone physically checking up your computer to see what liscences you have.
Tom

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2009, 05:36 PM »
gotcha lol
No, the aspect I was considering was someone physically checking up your computer to see what liscences you have.

You're funnier then you think. I live and work in Thailand were even govt. offices run on cracked software. That's however something I hate. When I as a poorly paid individual can buy a license why can't the government?

We are somehow way off topic here :-[

ThE WiZ

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Here is how to stop Avria pop up and splash screen.

Windows XP Professional

1. Go to Start ? Run, and type secpol.msc
2. Click on Software Restriction Policy ? go to Action (at the top) ? Create New Restriction Policies
3. Right-click on Additional Rules (on the right) ? Choose New Path Rule

. Click Browse and find the avnotify.exe file (C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Destop\avnotify.exe)
5. Make sure the security level is set to Disallowed and click OK

1.Open regedit and navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
2.In the right pane double-click avgnt and add /nosplash at the end of the path (ex. /min /ns). Avira changed /nosplash to /ns for version 9.

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36 AM »
The first post is very outdated now, NOD32 for instance is at version 4+
as for resource usage that also changes per version. I left Kaspersky for nod because people said it was lower in memory usage but the version I tried (4.0) was not. so I guess it depends exactly what version you are comparing with what

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04 AM »
The first post is very outdated now, NOD32 for instance is at version 4+
as for resource usage that also changes per version. I left Kaspersky for nod because people said it was lower in memory usage but the version I tried (4.0) was not. so I guess it depends exactly what version you are comparing with what

Good point, delwode. I started with Sunbelt's VIPRE at v.1 and it was good. It's now at v.4 and it has gotten considerably more resource intensive.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Also ESET's post-2.x GUI is awful. But it still has the best heuristics on the market AFAICS.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Anyone tried Moon Secure AV?

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Looks like an abandoned project which is a bad mix with this type of software. If you want something exotic without being experimental try Immunet http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

Better link for how they see them self http://forum.immunet...houghts-on-efficacy/ Pro version use Bitdefender as offline AV btw.