topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bizarre IE8 crashes with CHS  (Read 5045 times)

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bizarre IE8 crashes with CHS
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Short version: IE8 crashes completely whenever CHS is active and =anything= is pasted in =any= text field.

Details: I tried updating to the latest version of CHS but no change. I'm using WinXP Pro. It only affects IE8 and not Chrome. It only affects IE8 text fields at =all= websites but not the IE8 Address bar. The crashes happen whether I paste via CTRL-V or via CHS hotkey; whether a sound is played when pasting or no sound; whether a complex item is pasted or a 3-letter word or even a single blank space character.

It gets weirder: Even after I exit CHS and I paste any little thing which was captured while CHS was active, I get the same crash behavior even after several restarts of IE8!! The only way to break this CHS curse is to capture something new (while CHS is inactive) and then paste it. From that moment all Windows copy and paste activities don't affect IE8.  The only new software that I can recall installing before this strange behavior was a new version of McAfee Total Protection. So I disabled the Real-Time Virus Scanning as well as the Site Advisor feature, but nothing changed.

Anybody?
Thanks!

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bizarre IE8 crashes with CHS
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:40 PM »
3-minute update: I just noticed that CHS being active is also crashing my MS Word 2003, except it does it immediately on startup of Word, without my pasting anything! Notepad is fine, but Eudora also crashed when pasting, with a similar "CHS hangover" until I copy and paste something new.
HELP!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24 PM »
wow that is strange!

how about this:

in chs you can actually turn off clipboard monitoring (Clipboard tab of options, uncheck "Monitor Clipboard") -- see if the same problems remain.
(you might have to also disable the "Clipboard Tricks -> Re-establish" on same tab.

see if that fixes anything.
my suspicion would be McAfee, but i don't know for sure.  anyone else have any other ideas?  any options in mcafee related to clipboard stuff?
i do seem to see on searching that mcafee does have some functionality for blocking clipboard tools, so i still think that is likely culprit.

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38 PM »
in chs you can actually turn off clipboard monitoring (Clipboard tab of options, uncheck "Monitor Clipboard") -- see if the same problems remain.
(you might have to also disable the "Clipboard Tricks -> Re-establish" on same tab.  see if that fixes anything.

I tried those 2 changes; no joy.

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Well, the PC cure-all (restarting) trmporarily cured this one too. We'll see if it resurfaces...