The Five Distros That Changed Linux
Linux Magazine / Steven J. Vaughan-NicholsLinux’s history can be measured in both releases 2.0, 2.6, and so on, and in its major distributions, which brought these releases to the masses at large. Here’s my list of the top five major Linux distributions that had the most impact in the operating system’s brief history.
- Slackware (1993) The first truly popular Linux distribution
- Debian (1994) Welcome to the community
- Caldera (1993/4) The first Linux for business
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1AS (2002) Linux joins the enterprise
- Ubuntu 4.10 (2004) Linux for everyone
The disagreements among the commenters are delicious.