topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Teaser: Crush MCP (Master Control Program)  (Read 54696 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Teaser: Crush MCP (Master Control Program)
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Tuxman: German might be the national language in a lot of countries, and both Spanish and Chinese and probably Russian are bigger national languages than English... still, English is (and should!) be the global language simply because it's the biggest when you take non-primary language into account.

That, and the fact that it's not as ugly as French or German, and doesn't require the use of non-ASCII characters ;) (well, modern English doesn't).

Anyway, this is going slightly OT :P
- carpe noctem

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 09:49 AM »
Of course English is ugly. It doesn't even have grammar. "Add an s, and you'll have the plural", lol, [flame] now we all know why the Presidents of the United States are a bit... illiterate.  :P [/flame]

English is not the global language, Chinese is. When I take non-primary languages into account, there are also some countries in Africa for German... so you'd better accept that not every software in this bloody world has to be in English.

:Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 09:52 AM »
English is not the global language, Chinese is.
Not yet, and hopefully (though perhaps not realistically) my time on this ball of dirt will be gone before it is.

English isn't a perfect language, with all the odd little exceptions it has... but it's still the language that will let you reach the widest possible amount of users. Unless you're writing very national software, it's arrogant to release in anything but English.
- carpe noctem

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 09:56 AM »
It is also arrogant to expect everyone to speak English. In Europe you'll reach a wider audience with German.  :P

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 10:05 AM »
It is also arrogant to expect everyone to speak English. In Europe you'll reach a wider audience with German.  :P
Will you, now? You'll definitely have more people having German as their native tongue, but I expect the amount of people who understand English to be higher. Here in Denmark, German is (unfortunately) still an obligatory course in primary school, but ask most people who have been out of school for some years how fluent they are with German vs. how fluent they are with English... viva the internet :-*
- carpe noctem

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 10:11 AM »
It is not a positive sign that most people prefer speaking a language without any grammar. :P

I am fluent in both languages and I like learning new languages, so am I not a globalized man now?  :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Who cares what language is more popular-er ... This isn't helping the guy get his app working.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 11:37 AM »
I have no problem switching to english. The project has been startet with german by default (because of my compiler & system). Now the strings are changed. I updated the version and also inserted a second one. If the language of the mainframe still remains german try this. In Virtualbox on XP I see now english text, but still nothing inside of the info-windows. Something on the routines must be wrong - the processes are not enumerated as they should on XP.
Wikipedia says that at least 185.000.000 people worldwide are talking german. By the way: The german invented the computer! :P Is there a reason why we shouldn´t change the computer-standard-slang to german?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:54 AM by Crush »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I wonder why it actually is said to be English. A German invented the computer, a Swiss invented the WWW. Time for a change, Obama would say.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Win7 is back to the Side-by-Side error from before, and XP has a new one: The ordinal 9628 could not be located in the dynamic link library mfc90.dll

For some reason it sticks in my mind that the Side-by-Side error has something to do with a missing/corrupt manifest - I ran into this once before but don't recall exactly what/why/how to get out of it.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 12:08 PM »
In Europe, German is still the primary language of many countries (Germany, Austria, parts of Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, even in the Netherlands they speak German). English is not.
I wonder why these US-American weirdos think that their broken English accent is the one and only global language. Sort of arrogance, I guess.

:P

In the Netherlands, the native language is Dutch. However, they also speak German near the border of Germany, English is obligatory in school and if you got higher education French was added to the list as well. Since our background (for centuries) is trade we had a lot to do with practically every Northern European country, so some kind of language developed between traders. Which is also why people from those countries have less problems learning each other languages, because by just listening for a while they discover a lot of similar words.

Besides, Germans are renowned for their technical skills and I followed a technical education so German was part of the package and I still can speak the language, albeit crudely since I didn't practice much after school. Even you Americans use German words in your language. Albeit would be one example.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Stoic Joker: I used the manifest as usual. But now I removed it completely from the build and updated the download-link. Perhaps this version is better: No manifest - no problem! I stop now experimenting with XP. It´s more important to get my spyware and malware checker running.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Ah! the SP1 redistributables work (sort of)
http://download.micr...c03/vcredist_x86.exe
Program loads...but no text.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I see you went back to linking MFC in a static (embedded) library ... Good man, I hate run-time dependencies. ;)

If you don't want to contend with the size and want to go back to the shared library build, save the link I posted above as it's the one folks will need.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I wonder why these US-American weirdos think that their broken English accent is the one and only global language. Sort of arrogance, I guess.

Our problem is that we don't know other languages - only broken English. Ain't gonna be changin' any time soon neither.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Yeh.. thought so.  :P

bcpaladin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2009, 12:06 AM »
Tuxman, if you want Obama, he's yours.  That aside, inventing something is different from making it accessible to the masses.  Whoever invented it, IBM , a company in an English-speaking nation, made the computer accessible to everyone.  But what this is really about is standards.  The OS community talks about standards all the time.  English has been the standard language in international business and shipping for a long time.  It has become the accepted standard for software as well.  I would hope that you could understand the need for standards.  If not, go ahead and try to make a living coding exclusively in German and see how much revenue that creates.  As for the rest of the content of your posts, if I thought like Obama, I would apologize for the arrogance of the U.S., and beg for forgiveness.  I don't so I won't.  If the education system in Germany failed to teach you why English has become dominant, I'm certainly not going to try to do so.   

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23 AM »
If the education system in Germany failed to teach you why English has become dominant, I'm certainly not going to try to do so.
The education system in Germany currently tries to teach young children British English. While I thought that B.E. is not so popular at all, the main problem is that not everybody will work for an IT company in his forthcoming life, so basically he should be taught to speak good German when talking to other Germans.

Standards are alright, but the language I communicate in is not standardized, it is chosen individually. The new German foreign minister, Guido Westerwelle, forced a scandal when a British journalist wanted to ask him in English during a German press conference and he just said "we're in Germany here". Now try to imagine the other way: A German journalist trying to talk German to an English politician in England (or, let's say, the States). What would you say?

I just can't stand my fellow men talking Denglish all day. It is, surely, a culture loss.
The lowest floor of a shopping center in Brunswick is called the "basement" (yep, basement, not "Keller", "Untergeschoss" or whatever). Car manufacturers add "engine start/stop" labels to the control panel while they, interesting!, add French labels for French cars. I wonder why everyone accepts that in France they speak French but they expect us to talk English instead of German.

Still talking about arrogance? Oh, come on!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2009, 03:05 AM »
A friend tested MCP yesterday on Windows XP professional. He wasn´t able to see any text in the windows. They should be instantly filled with texts.
Perhaps someone with XP could load the executable and write some lines about its behaviour? (see attachment in previous post)

Sorry: I was just able to get back to this (I wasn't sure if you got adequate answers to you question amongst the language debate)... Seems OK on my XP Pro machine...

Screenshot - 26_12_2009 , 8_03_22 PM.pngNANY 2010 Teaser: Crush MCP (Master Control Program)

The "Internet Infos" was interesting... 6 browser windows, some 404's. It may be better to test the links first then provide links/information in a separate window?

Kill Process didn't have any problems with MCP.exe  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:11 AM by Perry Mowbray »

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2009, 07:40 AM »
The "Internet Infos" was interesting... 6 browser windows, some 404's. It may be better to test the links first then provide links/information in a separate window?
I´m now testing the urls for success before opening them.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Sorry: I was just able to get back to this (I wasn't sure if you got adequate answers to you question amongst the language debate)... Seems OK on my XP Pro machine...
Now that is bizzar... I've tried it on both the VPC and my wife's (native hardware) XP box (with & without administrative rights), and get no text. ...Any idea what might be different about your rig? The VPC is SP3 & the Wife's is SP2 (oops...)

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 10:28 AM »
I also didn´t manage it till now to run it on XP.
News: Now you can create a list with www-sites on your own to search and show task-informations taking care of "no success" triggering phrases.
Next: Filedate & Filehash-Checking, Processlist-Saving/Updating/Loading, csv-Exporting, checking for known spyware/adware tasks (I´m not sure I´ll make it all till thursday).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 01:23 PM »
I also didn´t manage it till now to run it on XP.
Hm... So if you can run it, and Perry can run it, that makes me the odd man out... 'cause I still got no (text) luck.

Please bear with me because I'm only thinking out loud hear... But the last time I ran into something that was supposed to run just fine but didn't...was also the first (and only) time I tried doing something in C#. I lost a ton of time troubleshooting the code, when the issue was actually the (new for C# "feature") code level permissions checking. I don't know if the 08 MFC (which I believe you're using) has that "feature" included, but it may be worth exploring later if/when you have time.

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 07:28 PM »
As for the rest of the content of your posts, if I thought like Obama, I would apologize for the arrogance of the U.S., and beg for forgiveness.  I don't so I won't.

I wonder why it actually is said to be English. A German invented the computer, a Swiss invented the WWW. Time for a change, Obama would say.

Ahhahaha, so funny.  I live in the US, and even I despise Obama.  That spoiled brat that probably did drugs in Hawaii.  What other reason would he have for making marijuana legal for the US for "medical purposes"?  And then he doesn't even want to join his own healthcare that HE thinks is good enough for us, but not good enough for him!

Aside from that, Crush, I think this is a great program.  I really liked that encryption program that you made for NANY a while ago, so I have high hopes for this!   :up:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Any idea what might be different about your rig? The VPC is SP3 & the Wife's is SP2 (oops...)

No, mine's pretty stock standard XP SP3