Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 16, 2014, 02:30:12 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New software request: Automatic digital delivery post-sale tool  (Read 4187 times)
yacht_boy
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 13, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »

Hi all-

I've been participating in a lively discussion over at the e-books community group on yahoo's boards (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebook-community/).  It seems that we have uncovered a glaring hole in the software world:

Many authors are experimenting with self-publishing and the use of ebooks as a delivery method.  Many of them are struggling with automatic delivery of the ebooks after payment.  There are plenty of services that offer this, but all of them are pretty expensive--some charge $30 or more a month, others want as much as 15% of every sale.  Some of the better open source shopping carts offer digital delivery, like zen-cart.com, but these are database systems aimed at stores with multiple (hundreds or thousands) products.  It seems like overkill to install a whole mySQL/php setup just to sell one book, which is what most authors have.

I figured there must be a product out there that will do this, but in half an hour of googling, I found none that were affordable.

Does anyone out here want to take on the challenge of designing a simple, easy to use, easy to integrate shopping cart system that will do auto-delivery of books or other files post-sale, both directly from the author's page and via ebay, without a database?  Seems like it shouldn't be that hard for the talent we have here!  I can bet that it would be a top seller or drawer of new members to DC. 

If I haven't been clear enough, let me know.  I don't frequent the boards, so shoot me an email:  [DELETED]

Thanks!
Jason
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:23:43 PM by brotherS » Logged
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »

I don't frequent the boards, so shoot me an email:
That's not very polite. Forums are there for forum discussions. If you didn't know: you could easily subscribe to threads and will get an email when someone answers.

Thank you.
yacht_boy
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »

Sorry, not trying to be rude.  As an occasional end user (and paid member), I simply find most of the discussions on these forums to be over my head, and I am active on several forum boards already and have to limit how many I check every day. 

Figured out that "notify" was the same as the "subscribe" box I'm used to looking for after I posted.  I was confused because the option to subscribe isn't available when you are writing a new post, for some reason.  You have to subscribe after posting.  A small flaw in otherwise good forum software.

So now I'm subscribed.  If you want more info about the suggestion, email or post the question here.

Jason
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »

I was confused because the option to subscribe isn't available when you are writing a new post, for some reason.  You have to subscribe after posting.  A small flaw in otherwise good forum software.
Not sure about that, but you could always enable subscription for all topics you start/reply to in your forum profile.

Thank you.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »

some of the shareware payment services have the ability to automatically send files after a purchase, which sounds like what you want.  there are some paypal scripts as well that would do this.  we use a (php) paypal script here that could be modified to do what you want as well. it does use a database though to keep track of payments (as do most paypal scripts).

when you say its overkill to install php+mysql - most server accounts have php and mysql enabled anyway so it's not a matter of installing it, just a matter of configuring and using it..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.18 ]