ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm beginning my experiment with Linux and other OS's.

<< < (7/9) > >>

40hz:
So many things to try!
-superboyac (December 22, 2009, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes there are...

Here's your new case badge:

Welcome to the club! :P ;)

superboyac:
Ha!  I love that cartoon.  So weird.  Bill the Cat has the greatest faces ever.

40hz:
Bill the Cat has the greatest faces ever.
-superboyac (December 22, 2009, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK.

Just for you then:

;D

MilesAhead:
@40hz I have to agree with you about booting multiple Linux versions.  When trying to accommodate hardwire sometimes I would build several kernel versions.  All it took was a few lines in the boot manager configuration file to load the specific kernel, and particular modules depending on the kernel version in startup scripts.  Sometimes I would have to boot a kernel to use a device when an older kernel may be generally more stable or whatnot.  One of the things I really liked about Linux was the ability to boot a floppy that pointed you into the Linux partition on the HD.  If your boot manager got hosed you could boot the HD install from the floppy.

Some guys over at Boot Land have done the same thing using USB key drives and Windows boot manager. Boot from USB and the same boot manager menu comes up.  Very cool.

I do think though, if you really want to become an adept then immersion is the key. I have too much invested in Dos/Windows quirks to just chuck it all and go Linux.  But I'm glad I messed with it for awhile. I'm surprised how many tidbits I still remember from those days.

superboyac:
Ha!!  Thanks 40!  Great.  Freaking Bill is such a spaz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version