ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Torchlight 50% off until Monday at Steam

<< < (2/6) > >>

p3lb0x:
A thing to note is there is apparently also a fledging mod community behind this game

Deozaan:
Torchlight is great fun. If you enjoyed Diablo and Diablo 2 then you will certainly get your money's worth from it.-tanis424 (December 19, 2009, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games, but I still only play it with other people. If I ever do play it single player, it's only to work up my character in some way so I can show him off to my friends I play with.

As for online griefers, I never have that problem because I only play with people I know. So I get all the benefits you just described about a limitation of Torchlight while still retaining full benefits of being free to play with other people.

They say there is a multiplayer game coming from the developers of Torchlight, but from what I've read, it's an entirely different game that you would have to buy separately, plus it's an MMO which probably means monthly fees and those pesky griefers.

Torchlight just sounds too much like an extended demo/proof of concept to me with so few characters/classes and other limitations. They even say that the game was made as a framework to base their MMO off of.

I'm sure it's probably fun, but I still haven't seen or heard any reason why I should choose Torchlight from the myriad other Diablo-esque hack'n'slashers out there that feature multiplayer.

EDIT: Grammar and clarification.

tanis424:
Heh, you don't have to like it. I found that it was well worth the money - $22AUD for about 20 hours of solid gameplay (that's just completing the main storyline - it continues on after that if you want to keep playing). Compared with the $100AUD games which I've bought in the past that gave me very little.

Still, each to their own.

Deozaan:
I'm not saying I don't, or won't, like it; I haven't even played it yet. I'm just fishing for reasons to spend money on this game when what is, in my opinion, the best thing about these games, multiplayer, is nowhere to be found.

Diablo 2 is a great game, but the reason why I'm still playing it today is because of the multiplayer. I doubt I would have played it much after completing it nearly ten years ago.

So I'm still wondering if this game is really so great that it compensates for the lack of multiplayer, or if it will be just a good 20 hour game with virtually no replay value.

p3lb0x:
It's more of a coffee break game that you whip out for a few minutes or an hour when you have nothing better to do. The game isn't really all that complicated or deep but it IS quite fun to play in short runs of 15-90 minutes. I am not sure if it is worth the 20 dollars they sell it for normally but it was certainly worth 10 dollars

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version