ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: easy toggle between Priority to Programs / Background Services

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
This may be a little difficult for me to explain, I am afraid, because I hardly know the Danish terms and certainly not the English. But I got to ask myself: Do I feel lucky? And just now the answer is Yes, punk!

Most of the time it suits me fine to have Vista giving priority to the programs. But I have more than 6.000 images in a single folder, and to wait for Vista to refresh the thumbnails is a p@|n in the @$$. For this reason I would very much appreciate if it could be made easy to toggle between "Give priority to Programs" and "Give priority to Background Services". A simple AHK script.exe, maybe.

Please?

The option in Danish:

MilesAhead:
This freebie may be promising:

http://www.optionalreaction.com/software/PriorityControl_STATIC/

Curt:
Thanks, but as far as I can understand it merely gives priority to programs, applications. The same job my Task Manager already is doing.

A priority control application sets the base priority for a specified application. An application with a high priority takes precedence over lower priority applications.
--- End quote ---

If you go to Control Panel >System >Advanced > Performance >Settings >Advanced, you will see the box from my image. Here you can change if Windows should have the processor weight applications or background services the most. This is the setting I want to toggle in an easy manner; per default it is buried way too deep.

MilesAhead:
Press Windows-Pause key.  Click Advanced System Settings.  At least that goes on Vista.

MilesAhead:
(edit: hang on... got to debug this a bit.  Trying to open that tab in control panel applet with AutoIt3 script.)

Okay, I couldn't figure out how to jump to tabs using the keyboard so I extrapolated until I got relative mouse coords.  You might have to change the numbers for MouseClick depending on your screen res(I use 1280x1024.)  But see if this AutoIt3 works:

--- ---AutoItSetOption("MouseCoordMode",0)
Run("RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL sysdm.cpl,,3")
Sleep(250)
Send("{Space}")
Sleep(250)
MouseClick("primary",102,44)

Also if the dialog opens but not to the correct window or tab try adjusting the numbers in the Sleep() call.  The number is milliseconds.  I'm using 1/4 second delay.  Seems to work for most windows on my machines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version