topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Printliminator  (Read 13394 times)

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Printliminator
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:21 AM »
I mostly use aardvark (that I found through a recommendation in this forum) before printing. Now there's a new one at http://css-tricks.co...s/ThePrintliminator/  8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Printliminator
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:20 PM »
works really well  :up:

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I really like this kind of software (saves me considerable on toner). aardvark works great in Firefox, but its bookmarklet is problematic in Opera. Fortunately, Printliminator works OK in Opera.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:31 PM by invenit »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 05:06 PM »
There's another online one called PrintWhatYouLike that has been around for a while.

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about PrintWhatYouLike. I will check it out.

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 01:45 AM »
I went to ThePrintliminator link suggested by inventit and tried to run the demo video, and it was really choppy.  I then went to PrintWhatYouLike suggested by 4wd, and the demo was smooth as silk, so my first impression is set strongly.

I plan to use PrintWhatYouLike alot, and just wanted to thank both of you a lot!  This is good for saving bundles of ink, cash, trees, oxygen, etc.  I'm astounded by how easy this one is to use.  I didn't see any change in opening time on my browser at all.  It feels like it loads the page very lightly and you can cut the webpage to shreds in seconds and get to the area you really after for printing in your own browser!  I was definately expecting a new button, but just hit the link in your Favorites or Bookmarks and you all set up.

I noticed the first link was done on an Apple, and the second looked like IE I think (not going back though).  I'm wondering if that's the discrepancy with how the two played.  Maybe it's just the traffic or server caches or something.  Anybody else have as much trouble with the first?

Anyway, fantastic stuff.
Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 06:51 AM »
@ mateek
The Printliminater video played fine here a couple of days ago, they sound very similar actually, havent had a look at the other yet
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 06:03 PM »
I feel a little strange, reading some of the comments. The Printliminator (PL) video is playing smooth and has a four times as large area as the PWYL video which is so small it is almost wortless. I can find no feature in PWYL that is not equally good or better handled by PL. Furthermore, I find Printliminator to be both faster and easier to use - if one can remember a hotkey combination. I cannot think anyone made a judgement without first trying, so I guess another mistake must have happened.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 07:21 PM »
UI wise, I have to go with PrintWhatYouLike.

It's ironic but what I like most about it is that I'm not limited to a bookmarklet. I often type the webpage instead of the bookmarklet.

Still looking for a much easier way to merge two or more webpages though. (especially for forums)

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I should have added to my statement "...was done on an Apple,..." that I was using Windows on a P3, and I was wondering about my own computers limitations, not Apple's inadequacies..  I was just wondering if the codecs I've got on my machine effected the playback, or a server cache.  I'm sure Appple makes high quality presentations.  I'm guessing the playback was a local problem from Curt's description of how well it's working for him.  I'm sure the choice between these two high quality products will just be a matter of taste for most.  I often pick software just because it has the fewest features, as a matter of a personal preference for simplicity.  But I contradict myself in certain types os software too.  I still haven't tried PL, but I won't use these programs that much that I care.  In this case I can be lazy and still always be happy with the one I've got.
Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.