ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you organize your email?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Deozaan:
I have multiple gmail accounts...each for a different purpose.

All mail from them is forwarded to my main gmail account, where it is labeled with what account it came from. -app103 (September 17, 2006, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

You know that you don't need to have separate gmail accounts for this? Just sign up for e-mail using (for example) [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and then use the filters to set their labels. I heard about this long ago (probably on this site) but have just started putting it to use and it is very handy.

app103:
I have multiple gmail accounts...each for a different purpose.

All mail from them is forwarded to my main gmail account, where it is labeled with what account it came from. -app103 (September 17, 2006, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

You know that you don't need to have separate gmail accounts for this? Just sign up for e-mail using (for example) [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and then use the filters to set their labels. I heard about this long ago (probably on this site) but have just started putting it to use and it is very handy.
-Deozaan (September 18, 2006, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Someone mentioned that to me awhile back but my experience is that as soon as you add a '+' to your email and type it into a box in a webform it gets rejected as an invalid email address, so that wouldn't be very helpful.

allen:
It's handy over newsgroups and public posting -- and with submission forms that will take it. It's true, however, that many don't allow it.  Actually, my address was rejected the other day because it has a dot in the alias . . . <grumbles>

Fortunately, gmail addresses are valid with or without dots. So my.name@gmail is the same as myname@gmail.

Deozaan:
Someone mentioned that to me awhile back but my experience is that as soon as you add a '+' to your email and type it into a box in a webform it gets rejected as an invalid email address, so that wouldn't be very helpful.
-app103 (September 19, 2006, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not every time. Sometimes, yes. But surprisingly less often than I thought.

orcsbr:
I use Thunderbird with Gmail.
I filter off my mailing list subscriptions with folder rules.
Then, in each folder, i use thunderbird's labeling system to mark messages as 1) important ; 2) cool ; 3) personal ; 4) to answer ; 5) waiting. Each message can be labeled quickly by typing 1 2 3 4 5 on the keyboard.
I don't move messages after i read or answer them to an archive to keep my inbox clean, because if i want to see what i have to work with, i just filter all messages with the "to answer" label. After i answer them, i relabel them to "personal" or "important", depending on the case. Some of the mailing lists i subscribe are full of messages labeled as "cool", or "important".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version