topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Eudora 8.0b7  (Read 15257 times)

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Eudora 8.0b7
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:34 PM »
I didn't especially care for the new Thunderbird interface in WinXP (I use claws in linux) so I downloaded Eudora 8.0b7 at http://www.eudora.com/betas/

This Eudora beta is built on Thunderbird anyway, but I *really* like it. :-*  No stability issues here and very easy to configure.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:36 PM by invenit »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Eudora 8.0b7
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I wonder if it actually makes sense to further develop this one.  :)

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:51 PM »
I wonder if it actually makes sense to further develop this one.

Not sure. For me, Eudora's GUI makes enough of a difference to keep it on my machines. There's a recent review at http://www.winplanet.com/file/11425.htm and a feature list at http://www.softpedia...Clients/Eudora.shtml

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I am currently trying some mail clients (currently being stuck between Thunderbird 3, The Bat! and re-alpine), but Eudora was never my client of choice. Don't know why...  :)

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Back in the day, I think Eudora was payware so I used Outlook Express. Now Eudora is open source.  :Thmbsup:

The Bat! was also high on my list of apps to try.  (I may still take it for a spin.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:17 PM by invenit »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:20 PM »
The Bat! is, at least, more resource-friendly than Thunderbird. However I haven't managed to find out yet how (if?) to display unread folders in bold... the only thing that keeps me away from replacing Thunderbird 3 as my default mail client.
(Thunderbird 3 rocks, anyway. So probably does Eudora... but who needs another Postbox?)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Back in the day, I think Eudora was payware so I used Outlook Express.

Back in the day Eudora was indeed payware. $40 if I remember correctly.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 10:32 PM »
However I haven't managed to find out yet how (if?) to display unread folders in bold...

The Bat! displays unread folders & messages in bold by default. I'm not even sure if there's a way to turn that behavior off.

And for those who want to buy The Bat!...don't forget the discount link here in the forum will save you approx. 50%.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:37 PM »
The Bat! displays unread folders & messages in bold by default.
Hm, you are obviously right. Weird that I missed this.  :o
Thanks.

And for those who want to buy The Bat!...don't forget the discount link here in the forum will save you approx. 50%.
Yet another thanks. I'll wait for the end of the trial period and make a decision then ...  :D

(Getting a bit off-topic here, sorry for that.)

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Back in the day Eudora was indeed payware. $40 if I remember correctly.

$40! How times change. Eudora's new beta sports some interface tweaks that I like--such as no solo tabs--but no sea change from Thunderbird 3.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:38 AM »
The name Eudora 8 is a mistake - it's actually Thunderbird v2(I doubt its v3)  + Penelope extension to make it resemble Eudora v7.

I wait for MailForge(formerly Odysseus)  to get better (now at v1.3.3 , with a long way to go yet) - this is much closer to original Eudora than "Eudora 8" ever will be.

Mailforge 1.3.3   http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/
Forum   http://www.infinityd...asystems.com/forums/

SKA

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 07:56 AM »
The name Eudora 8 is a mistake - it's actually Thunderbird v2(I doubt its v3)  + Penelope extension to make it resemble Eudora v7.

Well, I guess that explains why Eudora chokes on recent Thunderbird extensions (e.g., AdblockPlus).

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about MailForge.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:57 AM by invenit »

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:03 AM »

https://wiki.mozilla...es#Installation_Note

I was wrong - "Eudora 8" is based on Thunderbird v3 (not TB v2) + Penelope.

SKA

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 08:24 AM »
"Eudora 8" is based on Thunderbird v3 (not TB v2) + Penelope.

Now I'm scratching my head about the incompatible Adblock extension. Since I use ad muncher on my main machine it is not an immediate problem. Possibly this is just an issue with the beta version.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Yet another thanks. I'll wait for the end of the trial period and make a decision then ...  :D

While you're trialing The Bat! make sure you trial AntiSpamSniper for The Bat! as well. I wrote a comprehensive mini-review on this forum you should probably read.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic....

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Thank you for the hint.  :)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Hi Folks,

I am still very happy with the real Eudora 7.1.  Every time I look at the supposed replacements
I go back quickly.  Any reasons to switch yet ?  I definitely do not want to lose the robust
filtering and any searching capabilities, or any stability.  If we have all that, great, and what else ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:57 AM »
I am still very happy with the real Eudora 7.1.  Every time I look at the supposed replacements
I go back quickly.  Any reasons to switch yet ?
Steven, does Eudora 7.1 run on Windows 7?  The web page doesn't go any further than WinXP.  Do you have a paid version (that's no longer available)?

I've been using Mulberry for almost ten years, first in paid versions, now free, and I love it, but it does have a few issues--its not graphics friendly, and it trips over foreign characters if the message doesn't use the correct statements in the full headers.  So I do want a second program to turn to from time to time.  I used to use Thunderbird as the second program, but I'm not liking Tbird 3 (I can't even get it to show me the numbers of messages--total and unread--folder by folder in the left-hand column.  I think Tbird2 did so.)  I also downloaded Eudora 8 beta 7, but it didn't seem all that different from Tbird 3.  Many years ago, Eudora was the email client I was planning to try if Mulberry didn't work out, but I fell in love with Mulberry and so never tried Eudora.  Your statement about Eudora 7.1 interests me. 

I was also interested in SKA's mention of MailForge.  I took a look at the website, and MailForge looks promising.  I don't mind paying for software, but I'd prefer not to do so if I'm just using it as a backup. 

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Any reasons to switch yet ?  I definitely do not want to lose the robust
filtering and any searching capabilities, or any stability.

I think I would delay any switch yet. I've encountered some minor stability issues on two machines that took some time to surface (as might be expected with a beta version). I started testing Sylpheed's beta for comparison and it is superior IMHO. (Sylpheed takes a little getting used to though.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:33 PM by invenit »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

Steven, does Eudora 7.1 run on Windows 7?  The web page doesn't go any further than WinXP.  Do you have a paid version (that's no longer available)?
-cyberdiva

I can double-check the Eudora forums (they remain active). I doubt there are any Windows 7 problems of significance.

The "sponsored mode" is fine, which is available. (I can check where later.) You undock the ad and it falls behind and out of the way. (I think I throw if over the edge of the cliff or something). In the old days you would be forced to keep it visible .. no more.

This is functionally almost the full paid mode, it might not have the X1-based super-search, but that wasn't the most stable fun thing anyway.  Again, I can check on the forums, but I sense no lacks.

Shalom,
Steven

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Ah, Eudora.  I remember those days.  I think it was my first email client.  Then I moved to pegasus.  Then The Bat!  Eudora was always pretty good.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Thanks very much, Steven, for your helpful response re Eudora 7.1.  If you learn anything about Windows 7 problems or anything else you think I should know, I'd be most grateful if you'd post it here.  In the meantime, I think I'll give it a try on my XP desktop and see what it's like.

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Eudora was always pretty good.

Not perfect, but the new beta is still pretty good.  8)

Very minor stuff still needs attention though: the Eudora beta forgets that it's supposed to always start in the inbox (e.g., if you close after perusing a different email folder once, Eudora beta remembers to start in that folder for the next few startups). No show stoppers though.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Cyberdiva:
Below report by Brana(maker of excellent addons for Eudora 6/7 - http://e-gadgets.fre...stia.com/plugins.htm):

" Win7 (x64) works fine with Eudora 7.1.0.9 and these 2 tweaks:

1. if monitor is connected via VGA cable (analog):
    for crisp fonts - change system font "effects" from "Clear Type" to "Standard"
2. for common controls & registry compatibility:
    eudora shortcut -> properties -> compatibility -> Windows XP (SP3)  "

more on compatibility mode:
http://www.howtogeek...-compatibility-mode/
http://windows.about...mpatibility_mode.htm

As x64 works ,guess x86 (32-bit) Win7 will also work fine.

NOTE: MUST install Eudora outside Program Files location, most folks use C:\Eudora (or D:\Eudora). OR create an alternate Program Files (eg: Program Files Alt) and install Eudora there.

SKA
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:38 PM by SKA »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Thanks very much, SKA.  I appreciate the information.  However, after trying Eudora 7 yesterday on my WinXP desktop, I decided late last night that it wasn't what I was looking for.  It takes the same ultra cautious approach to graphics that Mulberry does.  While I like that as my default approach, there are also times when I want to be able to see the graphics in a message and am confident I can trust the sender.  With Mulberry and Eudora 7, I have to open my browser to see them.  With many other programs, I can have graphics turned off by default but click "Show graphics this time" or "Always show graphics from this sender" and have the message appear the way the sender intended.  Since Eudora 7 won't do that for me, I decided not to consider it further, and I've now removed it from my computer.