topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kickstarter: Fund an indie project or start your own project and ask for funding  (Read 4940 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A while ago a local blog mentioned a graduate student who was trying to raise a thousand dollars so he could try to make a go of creating and selling homemade organic chocolate bars from scratch (roasting the cocoa nibs, etc.).

He actually ended up raising the money through a site called Kickstarter, and I was proud to contribute a little bit.  The fun thing that he is doing, which i think is really important in terms of making the whole crowd-funding idea work, is that he is blogging about his experiences making the chocolate, etc.

I want to encourage more people who read this, who have a small dream project they need a little funding for to go for it, and maybe try a site like Kickstarter to raise the money you need (as the excerpt below states, the money raised is not investment money, it's a donation to you).

If you do try it, I really do think that the key is to blog about how that money is spent and how you do with the project -- if you do that, everyone can feel like they are part of the experience and if it doesn't succeed as you hoped, everyone will still feel like it was well worth the try and the learning experience.

What is Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is a new way to fund ideas and endeavors...
A good idea, communicated well, can spread fast and wide.
A large group of people can be a tremendous source of money and encouragement.
Is Kickstarter an investment mechanism?
No. People who use Kickstarter to fund their projects ("project creators") keep 100% ownership and control.

What's in it for the people who pledge?
Project creators can offer products, services or other benefits ("rewards") to inspire people to support their project.

Why is the money given called a "pledge"?
They're pledges because money is collected only if a project reaches or exceeds its funding goal before time expires.

SO:
Let's see if we can't get some DC regulars to give Kickstarter a try -- and maybe we can try to support each other's projects.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just found this post while looking for the "Rentacoder in reverse" thread (which I've just updated). It's a shame this didn't get more DC attention and discussion, it's a really cool site. Definitely up my alley. The only challenge now is it takes a lot of time to go through the various projects and find ones I want to contribute to. :D But I haven't tried searching or sorting yet, just mostly browsing the front page (where there's already a lot of interest).

Anyway just thought I'd see if this one could do another lap around the DC discussion circuit. The site seems pretty successful with $1000's of dollars of donations represented on the front page alone.

- Oshyan