topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help me choose a new bank (software related)?  (Read 2863 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help me choose a new bank (software related)?
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:58 PM »
I currently use Bank of America, but I am considering switching.  This is for my checking account, so it's not for savings or investments or anything like that.  I initially got Bank of America in college because there were a lot ATM's around, so it was convenient that way.  Now, cash is not so much of a problem, especially with credit cards and all the shopping I do.  So, I rarely actually use the ATM.

Now, what prompted this was that I want to streamline my finances with Quicken.  I used to download the files of my statement from BofA's website, then import them into Quicken.  But I'd like to automate all of that.  However, BofA charges a fee for that service.  I was wondering if any of you knew of a bank that offers that service for free.  So that's one of my main concerns.

The other issue is fees.

FEES
As you know, banks charge fees for everything, and they're a little annoying.  I'd like to know if there are banks out there that I can use ONLINE that have as few fees as possible.  Most banks charge a fee unless you direct deposit your paycheck into it.  Are there ones that don't?  Please let me know.

Also, I'd like a pretty sophisticated online experience.  Give me some useful features online, whatever they may be.

So, in summary, I'm looking for the following:
  • Free "Direct Connect" services (that's the term Quicken uses)
  • No fees if you don't direct deposit.
  • Nice online features (online bill payments, etc.)

Thanks!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help me choose a new bank (software related)?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:58 AM »
Interesting...
It seems as though my Credit Union may be able to do this.  Although i get an error in Quicken when trying to connect.  I hope that's not because they charge for the service.  I'll have to call tomorrow and find out.  If this works, that would be nice, because I like my credit union.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help me choose a new bank (software related)?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Awesome!

My credit union allows "Direct Connect" with Quicken for FREE!  That's great.  The credit unions continue to surprise me with their service compared to the large banks like Bank of America.  I'm closing BofA and transferring everything to the credit union.

Furthermore, it seems that the credit cards, unlike the big banks, allow the Quicken service for free also.