ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win7 Bug - New windows/notifications do not get focus

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
I recently upgraded my wife to Windows 7 Pro x64 and have had nothing but good things to say about the switch. Her system is the last in our house to move to Win7 and the first in my home to go x64.

The only issue I am having currently is that new windows popping up, I.E. clicking a folder on the desktop, do not open with focus at times. They appear behind other windows.

Has anyone encountered this and know of a workaround?

4wd:
Are you crazy?!?

Many is the time I wish XP, (and Windows in general), would work that way...please, please, please tell me how you did it :D

zridling:
Try running the UI in windows 7 basic. Apparently a few AV programs might be causing this oddity.

Innuendo:
The only issue I am having currently is that new windows popping up, I.E. clicking a folder on the desktop, do not open with focus at times. They appear behind other windows.

Has anyone encountered this and know of a workaround?-Josh (December 13, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not only is there no work-around, but this is billed as a new feature of Windows 7. Microsoft has listened to the mass complaints of new windows & dialog boxes stealing focus from apps (How many times have you been on a roll in MS Word or similar typing your heart out & then looked up at the screen and something stole Word's window focus and half of what you typed was lost?) and this is the solution.

Now you can work with your apps without fear of anything stealing its focus freeing you to deal with intrusive dialog boxes in your own time on your terms.

Sorry you hate the new way of doing things, Josh, but MS has gotten quite a few compliments on finally implementing this new behavior.

Josh:
I personally have no issues with it but my wife, on the other hand, does :-/ And as any married man knows, when your wife is not happy, you aren't happy either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version